Chapter XXIII

So things didn't go my way as usual. Mikaela and James just had a small argument which was sorted out in minutes. I was disappointed, but I didn't show it. I put on a fake smile and pretended I was happy for them, when I really wasn't. But I couldn't keep worrying about them. I had to focus on school and my grades.

"Poetry after the French Revolution was dominated by romantic poets like Lord Byron and William Blake." Mr. Cummings was explaining the different eras of English poetry. I was listening in rapt attention mainly because his voice was captivating. "The two main themes were love and nature. To understand how they are linked, I am going to give you an assignment. Everyone, pick a partner."

James and I immediately looked at each other. When it came to partner assignments, we didn't trust anybody else.

"Alright," Mr. Cummings continued, "now that everyone has a partner, I'm going to divide the class into two sections. The right gets nature, while the left gets love."

We were on the left side. Love was an easy enough topic, or so I thought.

"I want everyone to research on the topic with relevance to poetry. You can also include the change in views over the years. And I want you to pick a poem with both themes and critically analyse it. You will have to bring out how the two themes are linked. I will give you a week's time, so please prepare well. Class dismissed."

"It's a pretty simple topic," said James, as we left. "When do you want to meet?"

"Well, I'm not free today," I said, checking my schedule. "I've got Trigonometry and then Creative Writing. And I have a debating skills workshop after school. So how about tomorrow? Around four?"

He nodded. "Great. So it's a date then."

I raised an eyebrow as his cheeks turned bright red.

"That came out wrong. Not a 'date' date, okay?"

"Then what kind of date?" I asked sweetly.

"A- uh, let's just forget I said that? I'll see you at dinner." He turned around and hurried off to the Physics classroom before I could say anything. I could bet my cheeks were pink too. I bit my lip and smiled.

A date with James wouldn't have been so bad.

***

I quietly approached the lunch table where Shane was sitting alone. His earphones were plugged in, and he didn't seem to realise that I was standing right behind him. He was singing softly under his breath.

"We are the new Americana,
High on legal marijuana."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Boo."

He jumped and removed one earphone. "Hey! I didn't see you there!"

"Halsey, huh?" I said, sitting down next to him.

"I think I'm in love with her. So who're you listening to these days?"

I shrugged. "I find random indie artists and listen to them. Like, right now I'm obsessed with Walk the Moon and Foster the People."

"But what about that monster band and Fall Out Boy?"

"It's not 'that monster band'," I said, annoyed. "It's Of Monsters and Men. OMAM and FOB will forever be my favourites, but I do need to expand my range."

"You should totally listen to Arctic Monkeys though."

I rolled my eyes. "Shane, I'm the one who introduced you to them."

He spaced out for a second and then realised what I was saying. "Oh right! Well, what about twenty-one pilots?"

I nodded. "Way ahead of you."