Chapter XVII

I woke up on Sunday morning with a splitting headache. It was probably because I'd spent the whole night reading gay fanfiction in the dark without my glasses on. It was my fault, but my brain felt like it was in blender. I groaned and took a painkiller. I prayed that the feeling would be gone by the evening.

To be honest, I had no idea if I was going to prom or not. Shane hadn't really got back to me, so I didn't have a date for the evening. I didn't want to go alone, but I also didn't want to let such a beautiful and expensive dress go to waste.

I washed my hair and shaved my arms and legs after lunch. I spent about two hours looking at hair tutorials to make my unruly hair look good. I also watched a few makeup tutorials to make myself look more presentable. Thank the heavens for Zoella.

It was six and I still hadn't changed into my dress. I knew my friends were ready, since I could here them through the walls. They obviously hadn't stopped to check on me, since they were too engrossed in their dates.

There was a soft knock on the door as Ryan stuck his head in. As soon as he saw me, his expression turned from one of excitement to confusion.

"Is that how you're coming?" he asked, referring to my sweatpants and loose t-shirt.

"I'm not."

Ryan sighed and sat down on the edge of my bed. "You're not going to let that beautiful dress go to waste."

I scowled. "Don't you have a date to pick up?"

"No, she ditched me for another guy."

"Doesn't that make you mad?"

"No, it just gives me excuse to take you. I knew you wouldn't go without a date, so here I am."

I gave him a small smile. "Don't you want to stay inside instead?"

"And miss seeing Mikaela in that gorgeous dress? Hell no!"

I grinned. "Alright. But I'm only coming for you." I took my dress out of my closet. "It'll take me approximately twenty minutes. Keep yourself busy till then."

I got into my bathroom and quickly beautified myself. I put on a thin layer of makeup with a little extra mascara. I wasn't going to wear my glasses, but I was going to carry them. I pulled my dress on and then proceeded to do my hair, which took the longest. I put it up in a large princess bun, and let my curly bangs hang down my face. I looked at myself in the mirror. I had done a pretty decent job.

In precisely twenty minutes, I was ready and out. Ryan's jaw dropped when he saw me.

"You look... wow."

I turned bright red. "Thanks."

"No seriously. James should just leave Mikaela and go after you."

I smirked. "You have a hidden motive behind that, don't you?"

He grinned. "You know me so well."

I quickly pulled on my shoes. I wasn't an expert in walking in high heels, let alone dancing, but for the past few days I'd been practicing, so I could manage one evening.

I sprayed a whole lot of perfume over me just before we left.

"That's a lot of perfume," said Ryan.

"Well, you don't want to smell my stinky underarms now, do you?"

He chuckled. "No I do not."

I sighed I admired my reflection. "My mom would be so proud if she saw me like this."

Ryan took my hand. "C'mon. It's time to make all the other girls jealous."

We walked into the party as a couple. I'd made us late, so almost everyone was there. I could see heads turn in our direction. I could hear people murmuring under their breaths.