Chapter X

So my plan of figuring out what was wrong with Denise turned out to be a complete failure. It was mostly my fault. I never really saw her alone, and when I did, my inner violent psychopath took over. I always felt like smashing her little toad face against the wall. Her smug face was so off putting, I didn't even want it in my line of vision. She was a nothing but an but a redundant addition to my vintage misery.

But on the other hand, whatever had happened between Shane and Denise was resolved. They were one person again, and it was even more sickening than before.

The two of them took PDA to a whole new level. They'd hold hands, flirt, and even share kisses in public. This would always turn heads in their direction. They were the talk of the school. To make it worse, people would ambush me in the hallway and ask me how their love life was. I couldn't believe that there were actually Shenise shippers on the planet.

I was sitting in the cafeteria on Saturday morning and completing an essay. Peyton was eating her breakfast and giving me company. Phoebe came over and dropped her tray in front of me.

"Well, that crowd was scary."

Saturday morning was bacon and eggs. Although I was a vegetarian, I loved eggs and gladly helped myself to some from her tray.

"Hey, where's Shane?" she asked. "He said he'd be with you guys."

I snorted. "Probably in Denise."

"I'm just going to assume that was a slip of tongue."

Peyton sighed. "Val, don't bother with him. Trust me, he's not worth it. James is more your type anyway."

Phoebe nodded in agreement. "Well, I am going to go find brother dearest. I will be back in a jiffy."

Once she left,  Peyton turned to me. "There's something I need to tell you."

I looked at her uneasily. "What is it?"

"Over the summer, I learnt something about myself. Something I don't know how to react to."

"You're dying."

"No, silly."

"You're leaving Carlsonton."

"No. Why does everything need to be a problem?"

I hung my head guiltily. "Sorry."

"It's something different. Something.... complicated."

"Oh, dear Lord. I'm not liking this. Just drop the bomb already."

"I'm a lesbian."

"Oh". That was all I managed to say. Peyton was the last person I expected to be gay.

When she looked at me apprehensively, I smiled reassuringly. "Hey, I support you and all your decisions. This is your life."

She grinned and wrapped me in a hug. "I knew I could trust you."

"So, what's her name?"

Peyton hesitated. "It's Phoebe, actually."

I laughed. "You fall for one twin, I fall for the other. Nice."

She giggled. "Well, great minds think alike."

"And fools seldom differ."

We were laughing our butts off, when a voice behind us said, "What's the joke?"

Shane sat down next to me and raised his eyebrow quizzically.

"Nothing." Peyton and I spoke simultaneously, which caused the twins' suspicious looks to enhance.