The ''Connection'' Girl in the 17th Party

"Oh, goodness gracious! What are you trying to show, Linie!? I got out of there just in time, but if I hadn't, I'd have been a goner too!!"

"Sorry, sorry..."

The fainted Edel woke up after about half an hour. However, she seemed a bit groggy.

Apparently, while probing my memories, she attempted to relive the repentance induced by that man's hypnosis, and she's quite upset about it, saying, "I almost got mentally contaminated." Though thanks to powerful mental defense magic and immediate interruption, she managed to avoid fatal contamination...

First and foremost, there's one thing I want to say.

"No, what Mister did wasn't mental contamination. It was a hypnotic suggestion for salvation."

"That doesn't make any sense! ...or is it? I can't help but acknowledge the slight change in mentality I experienced..." Edel said, shaking her head as if to shake something off.

By the way, since this is a personal and confidential conversation, it's taking place a little away from Dünste. It's structured this way because Edel insisted that it's better if fewer people know about the discussion regarding demons and such.

Sorry for Edel, who's still a bit upset... But I have to ask what I'm curious about soon.

"So, Edel, did you, um, find out about my, well... past?"

"Yes, naturally, I've read those memories too. I know that you were a demon who lived for 150 years and has killed many humans; I am aware of it all."

Once again, having it verbalized by someone else made the depths of my heart freeze.

That's right. Recently, I've been thanked by humans, loved by that man, and I felt like I could become human too...

I used to be a demon and a killer. That's something I must never forget.

I unintentionally lowered my gaze, casting my eyes down at my feet...

"Oh, I know. You're no longer a demon. You're a human who can repent for your sins and choose the path of reform, at least in your heart."

At those words, I instinctively lifted my gaze.

"Umm..."

"No need to say anything. I have already analyzed your memory," Edel nodded in resignation. "I witnessed the fateful encounter of yours. The Hypnosis Charmer... No, seriously, what kind of name is that? Well, anyway, I know that you were influenced by him and had a change of heart. You are no longer an enemy of humanity as the demons were, but rather, one of our kind, humanity."

"Do you... believe me?"

"Belief or disbelief is not the issue here. I know. Your mind, including your memories, undoubtedly belongs to a human. If it were of demon origin, there's no way I could smoothly extract 150 years of memories using my mental magic specialized in interactions with humans. Furthermore, before six months ago, your memories were shrouded in deep regret. Both humans and demons can lie with their mouths, but they can't lie with their memories and minds. It's undeniable that you deeply regret your past actions."

...To be honest, I first thought Edel would reject me outright.

After all, I'm a demon. A species that has been at war with humans, their mortal enemies, for centuries. Demons have killed countless humans throughout history. Especially those demons who pride themselves on their magic have viewed mages with intense hostility and actively sought to kill them.

Of course... I'm no exception to that. Edel must have seen it in my memories. She must have seen me killing countless mages... numerous practitioners of mental magic.