Chapter 4

ARIA

"I haven't even started work here yet. How can I resign if I haven't even started to work?"

Lewis shrugs as if it weren't his problem and decided to lean against the door, hands crossed at his chest. "Then don't start to work here."

"Why?", I almost shout at him. Guess I can't say I am starting things on the right foot with my boss.

"Because I know you", Lewis replies exhausted. "I know you, and that's why you can't work for me."

Have I mentioned I really want this job? I have, haven't I? And it's because I really want this job that what he just said pisses me off. "You don't know me", I shout at him. It's the first time in my life that I've seen Lewis Cunnan speechless. "You have no idea who I am anymore. Six years can change a lot in someone's life. You have no idea who I am now."

"It's not that I know everything about you. I know I don't. But I know you on a personal level. Which makes things rather unprofessional between us."

"I'll do whatever you like. Do you want me to bring you coffee? I'll bring you coffee. Do you want me to send all of your emails? Then that's what I'll do. As much as I'm concerned, you're my boss and I'm your assistant. That's all I need to know, Mr. Cunnan."

"Aria, you...", he counters, rubbing his temple. I am not giving up so easily.

"I need this job, Mr. Cunnan. And just because you think you know me, that won't stop me from getting this job. You think you know me, that we share something personal, but we don't. You have been someone I used to know growing up. That someone left from my life six years ago. That someone has no idea of the person I became. So, go, think you know me. Think we share something special. But I can assure you that's not true. As I can assure you of the fact, that just because I share some memories with you, that won't have any effects on the work I'll provide you. So, I'm asking you, Mr. Cunnan, to give me a chance. We both know I'm not going to last more than eight months anyway, given your track record."

I can see him curse inside his head once, before he looks at his smartwatch again. "It's already half past three. Starting work now won't bring either of us anything. I'll expect you tomorrow at eight in the lobby, Miss Grant." He opens the door to leave, yet he turns around, ready to say something. He stops and after taking a deep breath, he says something else. "Don't be late. I hate it when people are late."

He shuts the door behind him before I can reply anything.

This day might have been a bitch, but I got a thousand-dollars job. Guess I deserve a high five after all.