| part 1 |

Like any child, I was a nervous wreck the morning of my first reaping. I got out of my bed, carefully not to wake my little sister, Avana, or Avy for short. It was just me, my mum and Avy. My dad died few years ago, thank fuck. He was an abusive, alcoholic, piece of shit. He chose alcohol over his own kids, he was only ever a sperm donor.

I watched as the small brunette slept peacefully, not a care in the world. I wish I could sleep like that. Still being young with no care about the world around me. Unfortunately, for me I know all too well the ugly truth and cruel ways of this system.

My family is one of the more poorer families of district four. My name has been put into the reaping 13 times just so we could get a glimpse of food. Fortunately, 13 is my lucky number because most people see it as unlikely and I like to be different from the rest. It's sort of like saying 'fuck you and your superstition'.

"Don't worry dear, I'm sure today will go well" my mother assures me, giving me a sweet smile. I watch as she wakes my sleeping sister up, before glancing at my dress neatly laid out. I get changed and brush my hair, pinning it up into a ponytail.

I take in the scenery of the ocean as we make our way down to the reaping ceremony, Avy holding my hand skipping. I say my goodbyes before walking over to the line of children. I flintched at the sudden sharp prick of my finger, watching as they smear my blood across the paper.

I make my way over to the rest of the girls my age, finally letting my nerves take over as I'm out of sight from my family. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my shaky breath, I begin fidgeting with my fingers, trying to focus my attention something other than the chances of me dying today. I have a bad feeling, that I just can't shake.

"Lady's and gentleman a short video from the Capitol" That was the chirpy sound of Helena, District 4's escort. She was an odd one to say the least, her hair was a sort of blonde with a mixture of pink and she wore a flowery dress with a matching head band and gasses. 

I've always hated how much money the capitol wastes on ridiculous things, meanwhile the Districts are struggling out here

I've always hated how much money the capitol wastes on ridiculous things, meanwhile the Districts are struggling out here. District 4 is one of the career districts which means we are better off than others. Well we're meant to be, but me and my family have no luck when it comes to money.

Helena claps signiling the end of the video. "Wasn't that just lovely folks! Now the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and women for the honour of representing district 4 in the sixty-third annual hunger games. As usual ladies first". She walks over to the bowl with her heals clicking loudly against the hard wooden floor of the stage. She places her hand into the bowl and rummages around until she picks out one unlucky little card.

"Aurora Nightingale"

Of course I was that unlucky girl. The world around me disappears, my mind racing through all the possibilities of how this was going to end but only one would be the truth. I was going to die in that arena. I felt my stomach began to churn at the thought.