forty six

Instead of walking all the way home I stopped by at Pascales, it was close to the doctors and she saw me passing by and ushered me in to watch the race with her.

"So dear how come you aren't out there today?" Pascale asked as I sat in the chair beside her, the race was already over Charles was in second and max was in fourth.

"I went to see my doctor." I told her as I kept my eyes on the screen, if I looked her in the eyes I might just burst into tears.

She has the same eyes as Charles.

"Oh are you alright?" She asked sweetly, and I just shook my head training my eyes to the television where the podium celebrations took place.

"Whats wrong melody? You can tell me it's okay." She asked, pausing the tv.

"My friend thought I was pregnant turns out I wasn't and I guess it got my hopes up so now I'm a little disappointed." I opened up to Pascale honestly.

"Darling I'm sorry, did Charles know about that?" She asked me and I shook my head no.

"The doctor said that having hyperthyroidism pregnant can cause harm to the mother and the developing baby and miscarriage, early labor, low weight of the newborn, heart failure in the mother and thyroid storm?? Whatever that even is." I rambled to her grabbing my finger nervously.

"Oh Mel."

"I don't even know why im so upset we aren't planning children but I know how badly Charles wants them in the future and I can't- I haven't even heard from him and I just-

"Breathe melody." She smiled grabbing my hands close to her, this poor woman why am I always causing scenes in her house.

"And he's annoyed that I didn't tell him I felt ill? And I lied to him I did lie about it and i just- I don't know what to do-"

"He's annoyed that he didn't know you were unwell because he cares about you so much." Pascale admitted kindly.

"I know and that's why I couldn't tell him. It wasn't that bad until Japan and that was the one race I really wanted him to win. I didn't want him to stress out and mess up." I said sadly as she held me close to her.

"I understand and melody that's so sweet of you to consider but you should tell him these things. How long haven't you spoken to him?" She asked.

"I know I'm an idiot.. I haven't spoken to him since Jimmy Fallon I've called him and texted him but-

"No reply." She assumed and I nodded, she knew her son better than me at the end of the day.

"I'm sorry I've just come in your house and-

"No no no stop apologising. I'm going to ring my son alright?" She told me and I shook my head.

"No no you don't have to Pascale, honestly I'm in the wrong and-

"That's the thing melody. Neither of you are in the wrong you both just care about each other so much. He always wants to know how how you're feeling because he cares. You didn't want to tell him anything because you care about him. I'm going to ring him now alright." She smiled encouragingly as she left the room to call him in private.

I sat in the living room admiring the photos on the mantle piece of their family, Arthur's toothy little grin at Charles who was looking at his dad.

That's a real family.

Pascale came back ten minutes later as she wandered in I immediately began apologising "I'm so sorry Pascale- honestly-

"Melody?" Charles' voice echoed through the phone as he was still on the call.

Pascale passed her phone to me "Hi." I responded back to him unsure of what to say.

"Mel look I'm really sorry-

"No I'm sorry I completely understand why you're annoyed I would be too. I just knew how much Japan meant to you and I didn't want you to stress out." I rambled at him anxiously.

"No I know, I spoke to Carlos and Isa before the race and yeah. I was going to call you after the race but mum called so.. yeah. I'm really sorry melody, like truthfully. It's my fault." He apologised sincerely down the phone.

"You did well on your trace. P2 is a really good result I'm really proud of you." I told him as his face was still paused on the tv.

"Sure you weren't watching for Mercedes?," he joked referring to Jimmy Fallon "I found it really hard to not tell you how beautiful you looked in that interview Mel. You did great."

"Thank you. Are you coming home tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I was going to come home this morning and miss the race but Fred wouldn't have it."

We chatted for a few more minutes about the kitties at home when I hung up and gave Pascale her phone back, "You are a lifesaver Pascale, what did you even say?"

"I told him to stop being stubborn, he loves you melody and he'd be an idiot to let this relationship fizzle out over how much he cares about you." Pascale admitted sitting down next to me again.

"Now stay for dinner, Charles won't be back until tomorrow and my other sons are god  knows where." She smiled brightly at me.

"You're sure?"

"Of course I am. I am tired of being with smelly boys all the time." She muttered switching the channel on the tv off.

"I hope you don't think I smell then." I told her and she shook her head.

"Now, I have pasta, noodles, pizza-

"I'll have whatever you were planning on originally having." I smiled at her as she got dinner on.

The evening flew on by, it was nice to have a mother figure to talk to about all sorts of things. We discussed a lot and I actually had a lovely time with her.