Chapter 7: Smile like that

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

"Holy shit?" Luna says in disbelief. "This video isn't fake?"

I shake my head as I bite into my burger. It's after school on Tuesday, and I'm hanging out with Luna as she'd asked. We're sitting in a nearby restaurant, and I ordered a burger while she's drinking her milkshake.

"Damn, woman," Luna smiles wide. "In the two years I've known Xav, he hasn't touched a girl in public once. Or... not like that..." she blushes, clearing her throat. "Sorry... he's like a brother to me. I couldn't watch the whole thing because I would have thrown up, no offense."

"None taken," I give her an amused smile.

"Honestly," she shakes her head. "That boy gives me a headache. He's so stubborn. Once he's set his mind on something, not even being hit by a train will stop him."

I know this.

I don't know why my heart hurts with the fact that other people know this about him too.

But what did I expect, that he'd stay in the past? Not move on?

I certainly moved on, even if we head butted all the time. But I'd been more than happy to stay away from Xavier. But now... looking at how close Luna and him are...

It just hurts.

And I won't deny that feeling.

But wanting to claw his face out is also a feeling I won't deny. So that's that.

"But at least he agreed to do this for you," Luna says. "I'm so sorry, Kaitlyn," her words are genuine. "I've never understood what happened between Xav and you, but I hated seeing all the Dexter BS. No one deserves that, even if Xavier now tells me he feels betrayed by the fact that I support you."

I nod, trying to keep my emotions at bay. "It sucks. Sorry about Xavier and you... it's all so complicated," I shake my head. "I'd hate to be a reason for disagreement between you two."

"Pfft," she dismisses. "He's being a little baby about it. Don't worry about us, I promise. Him and I argue all the time. And most of the times, I come out on top because he's got to say sorry to me. Girl privileges," she winks.

I laugh, even though I feel uncharacteristically sad again.

He used to say sorry to me all the times we argued... he'd even get me dandelions to blow on, to make me happy. And all our arguments would end up with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Always.

I swallow my bite hard. I won't dwell on this, though. This was all in the past.

The new Xavier is one I don't recognize. One I dislike with a passion. He's the exact opposite of everything I value, or he has become.

And why do I care when he's getting my job done? We will be on our separate ways afterward, anyway.

♦ ♢ ♦

In the evening, after a really nice hangout with Luna, I head back home.

Only to find a moving truck parked in the driveway.

"What's going on?" I ask Tadem,

"Ma'am is moving out, Ms Sharpe," she tells me.

It's like I've died all over again.

Fucking hell... why is this so painful? When dad seems to be collected about this decision. When mom is literally moving out!

Why am I so fucking emotional then?