Chapter 18: The Devil's Intervention

Please, guys. Listen to 'let me down slowly' by Alec Benjamin as you read this chapter. Who does the song fit? Adam or Evelyn?

***

Luke pulled on my cheek, stroking it like a baby, and I tilted to the side to get off his touch.

"I did not know I would find you here today! And we're both wearing black!" He pointed out. "My mind told me earlier that if I meet you here, you'll be in a black dress and heels. I guess I wasn't wrong, after all! Anyway, you look so chic... Um." He paused for a while, looking at Adam, then at me. "Is this your son?"

"He's my nephew!" A wide, fake smile followed my reply. Looking at Adam, he firmly folded his lips, painfully. I could see anger burning through his eyes, but he held it in. Adam was man enough not to react. Somewhere in me prayed he wouldn't.

"Aw! What a cute boy?" Luke tickled with his clean shaved beard that was grown enough to feel. He pinched on it gently, fingerings his beard and crackling in laughter like a fool that he was. Some other customers seated turned in our direction and my breath thickened. "Oh my, he had a beard already?" Luke asked, facing me. My lips wore a loathsome grin.

Adam made a face, looking away. I'm sure he was stabbing Luke mentally with his devil stare. Adam frowned, looking at his hand as if he should slice with the carving knife on the table.

"He's now mature. He even has bread? Hahaha!" Luke tapped Adam on the back playfully. "You're such a cute boy."

"No," I corrected. "He's a 28-years-old man."

"That doesn't mean, this guy is still a kid. He's a young chap at 28!"

"Okay!" I dropped off the pretense, pulling out of my chair. "Let's go have some talk outside." I insisted.

"Don't be in a haste," His smile settled, noticing how impatient I was. "Let me get your nephew something before I leave."

Luke deepened his hand into his left pocket, then he checked on the right.

"Oh, my goodness! I'm out of cash!" His hand settled around Adam's shoulder and Adam's Grey eyes turned in his direction with disgust.

"I see you're pained, but this is what will happen. I'll give your aunt $100 to be given to you, okay? You should use it for school." Luke added. "I know you would wear black." Luke snickered as I walked him out, and he touched Adam's hair before leaving. “Your nephew has a lot of hair. He looks arrogant! Evelyn... It's been a while. You look elegant, especially with that smile.” I pushed him out of the room before he utter another word.

When we got outside, I stopped and faced him.

"Okay, you met here unexpectedly, so stop that already. I don't owe you any explanation, okay? I'll chat you up later." I walked away from Luke and closed the door.

'Too bad I didn't end things with him properly the last time I left. And now. I just walked out on him the last time. What an irritating man to be with?'

Getting back to the where we sat, I met Adam, staring at the plate of fruit salad with his head bowed between both palms.

"I am so sorry, Adam." My low voice pleaded once I got in. "He has gone. I'm sorry for the drama he caused. Please continue eating." I took my seat, facing him.

"What the fuck was that?" Adam's icy stare raised at me. His arms dropped with his fist, clenched, while his raised chin lifted to my direction. More focused and a little closer.

"It was just one of the-"

"No, no... Wait, wait!" Adam rudely cut into my words before I could complete it.