57- deja vu

✧ ✧

✧ ✧

"It's 10:05, she should be here by now." Sarah glances at her phone again for what feels like the millionth time since we first got to deaches point. "She's gonna come, Sar. Have faith."

I know but-" Her sentence gets cut short by a sound further down on the doc. "Wheezie, is that you." Sarah goes toward the sound and as she turns on the rope I see her stop.

"Nah I'm not wheezie." Rafe steps forward, looking at both of us dead in the eyes and I feel a shiver come down my spine. "Where the hell is Wheezie?"

"Don't worry about it. Listen." he takes a step forward and we match him by stumbling three step back. "Whoa. It's all good. I... I just. I just... I needed to talk to you, like, little bit. Without her preferably." he gesters to me and I immediately step in front of Sarah.

"Get away from her. I'm not leaving, so whatever you were going to say to her, you have to say to me, okay?"

"whatever," he sighs before meeting only Sarah's eyes. " 'Cause... 'cause what you do, Sarah, affects me, okay? You don't... you don't think of that, do you?"

terror reflects in both sarah and my eyes as I look back at the boy standing in front of us, losing his goddamn mind. "You shot me, Rafe."

"That's it, right? It's... it's always my fault, right? Like, uh... you know, I... I wanna keep what's mine, that I got by my work; and I'm the bad guy for trying to... to hold onto it?"

"It's not yours." she tries to get through to him but he's too far in his own head. "Like I'm wrong to protect what's mine, huh?"

Sarah's hand death grips mine as Rafe steps toward us again, taking another deep breath. "Listen to me, okay? The cops are going t talk to you, and... And I need to make sure the story's straight because,"

"You killed peterkin." he glances up at her with the same fucking look as my father does, and I feel my heart fall into my stomach.

"My story's straight. Listen, this would go so much better for you if you would just-" the words fall out of sarah's mouth before she could stop them and suddenly Rafe is in her face, his eyes dark.

"Who are you trying to protect here? Huh?" I bite down on the inside of my lip, hard as tears start falling down sarah's face. "I'm trying to do the right thing."

You're trying to do the right thing?" "I can't- "

"You doing the right thing- No, you're not listening to me. You doing the right thing is the reason you got shot. Because you were following John b." This isn't the Rafe that I grew up with.

"John B might get the death penalty because of you!"

"That! that right there. That's... that's exactly what I'm talking about, Sarah. You, know?" This isn't the Rafe that Charlotte fell in love with.

"You've always been against me." next to me, Sarah tenses, shaking her head. "No I haven't."

"Don't shake your head. And you still are. No, no, no, no, no. You're not just against me. You're... you're against us. We're your family, and you're against us."

"Rafe, please." I start to say but he shoves the comment aside, like it never existed. "You know, Dad always takes your side, right? Cause you're gonna cry in front of him like you cried in front of me. But you listen to me. I'm a proactive type of person, Sarah. And we have a problem, and I gotta solve that problem tonight."

"Do you understand? DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!" he yells and I flinch as Sarah grabs my hand, bolting down the dock.

"Whoa Charlotte. Where are you going, Charlotte!" he screams after us and everything clicks into place. This is a trauma response. All of this is. The gold. The drugs. Shooting Peterkin. Shooting Sarah. All of it.

As we maneuver between objects on the dock, I hear his footsteps near closer and all of the sudden I feel the ground underneath me vanish, and my face makes contact with the wood.

"Sarah run!" my hand immediately grabs my nose to stop the gushing blood as Rafe sneaks past me, pinning Sarah against a blue bin full of water.

"No rafe stop!" I try to grab his arm with my free hand but he just shoves me off of him. "Stop it Charlotte."

"It's... it's...it's Sarah. It's your sister. Please.. please don't" I can hear her breaths shallowing as I try to will myself back up from the ground, seeing nothing but blood.

"What about me? huh? You'd have me fry." and then I hear her scream. "Sarah!" I shout before rubbing the blood out of my eyes, ripping at his arms as I see him plunge her into the water.

"Char stop it! You're going to get yourself hurt!" he growls at me and I know that I'm not going to win this by force. I need to beat him mentally.

"I'm not Charlotte, Rafe. She's dead. and she's been dead for such a long time."

"STOP. You don't know what you're saying!" he yells, pushing her deeper into the water. "Charlotte is dead. she drowned, and she would be so pissed at you for throwing your life away! So pissed at you for trying to please your father."

"And so, so pissed at you for almost killing your sister, rafe. So stop this, please. I know how much this hurts, but we can't have another person die on us. We can't, please." I beg, and he starts to loosen his grip, then buckles to the ground.

"Sarah!" rush to the bin as I glance to see Topper next to me. I pull her out of the water, pulling her to my chest as she coughs out water and I sigh in relief. "Thank god."

"Sarah? Sarah are you okay?" topper shakes her but the only words that come out are, "Rafe."

"Go!" I shout, rubbing vigously up and down Sarah's back as she coughs up more water.

"Don't you ever do that again. That alone will give me nightmares for days. I cant lose you. Not now, not ever Sar." I breathe in a hitched breath as she pulls me into a weak hug.!

"I'm not going anywhere." She mumbles before pulling away, her face contorting into a worried expression.

"Li why are you're eyes red and why is your nose bleeding?" She tilts my chin down to see it fully and my hand immediately touches my face, pulling it away to see blood.

"Nothing that I haven't dealt with before. I'll be okay."

"Still li. You need to take care of yourself."

"Sar you almost just drowned. I can worry about you for a second before I deal with my beat up face, okay?" I press a kiss to her wet forehead before I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look up to see topper standing next to me. Sar looks up at him, then pulls him into a hug and I pat him on the back.

"Thank you, I owe that much to you and I'm sorry for the words I said that day." He looks at me, slightly shaking his head mouthing "not now".

"Still thank you. I mean that."

✧ ✧

Update update
Updateeeee.
This is one of
da updatesss.
Love ya, bye