30 - gold shenanigans

✧✧

✧✧

"You ready for this? John B looks at me, his eyes searching mine for any sign to turn the car around and drop me back off at my house, forgetting the whole endeavor. "Routledge I'm okay, really. Now can you please unlock the car doors before someone rips one off it's hinges." Without another word he does what I say and the rest of the Pogues pile into the car, followed by a very confused Sarah. It's silent for a second before she reaches forward to touch my arm.

I look back at her, taking a shaky breath as her eyes reflect something completely different than her face depicts. I can't fathom to find any words to describe how I sorry I am as well as my feelings of being in the same car JJ so I just nod before turning back to face the windshield.

"Okay someone better explain what the hell is happening right now because I could cut through the tension in this van with pope's chopping skills, and that's saying a lot." Kiara is the first to break the silence and all eyes turn to me.

"If you are so eager to find out I would consult in JJ, he's the one to blame for this whole thing so I would highly suggest pestering him with all of your desired questions." the sarcasm is heavy in my voice as I don't even bother to look back at him in an effort to not put up to chance to make eye contact with the boy.

I glance into the rearview mirror to see Kiara whip around and smack JJ on the knee as he sighs, trying to catch my eye in the mirror but I won't allow it. "Li can we not do this right now?" The word that he said to me two days ago replay in my mind as I close my eyes and its almost like I'm back in the moment, standing in front of the Cameron house as my heart was broken into million pieces.

"Do what JJ? Kiara asked a simple question and I gave her answer, I'm not the one who made this the mess that it is. I'm just here to help get the gold that I've risked my life more than once for so I can leave this horrid place behind forever. So what's on this list that you mentioned earlier?"

John b snaps back into focus, pulling a piece pf paper out of his pocket and hands it to me. his handwriting id barely legible but I can make out some words and I end up starting at the middle of the list.

"Okay so black clothes?" I ask and everyone nods and John b gives me a thumbs up from the steering wheel.

"Rope?"

"Right here."

"pulley?"

"check."

"Grappling hook... wait grappling hook?" my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion and I glance at John b who just shrugs. "What do we need a grappling hook for? We're not batman." Pope scoffs from the backseat, reaching forward to grab the list and I gladly give it to him, feeling already brain dead from having to reel through the 50 things consisted on the list.

"Okay then let's go guys." he glances at me and then to the backseat of the van as he shifts it into park and I feel my eyes widen.

"Holy shit we're about to change our whole lives." I mutter as I hear kie yell a 'hell yeah' from the back."Let's get to it boys.. and girls." she adds the last two words in panicky, looking my direction as I suppress a laugh.