𝟢𝟢𝟧

DARIUS DUKE CARSON| 26

Eating in utter silence around the dining table, Bishop Jacob was preparing to break the devastating news to his family—which only he, Loretta, and Darius knew

Eating in utter silence around the dining table, Bishop Jacob was preparing to break the devastating news to his family—which only he, Loretta, and Darius knew. The only noise that occurred at the table was Daisha's fork clinking against the glass plate to gather food to stuff into her mouth.

"Meredith, you did yo' big one, sis'." Daisha looked up at the housemaid, taking a sip of her wine. "Thank you." The housemaid, Meredith thanked her with a smile. Meredith served up some baked salmon, mashed potatoes and sautéed asparagus.

Everyone else at the table was slowly and awkwardly eating. Darnell, Maxine, and Cleo didn't know why, they were just feeding off of everybody else's energy. And of course, little Damarco didn't have a clue in the world.

"Why is everyone so quiet today?" Cleo finally mustered up the courage to look up from her plate and make eye contact with everyone at the table. She knew they had found out she had been having affairs with other men and the guilt was eating her alive.

Everyone at the table looked at her and then looked back down at their food, continuing to eat. "Ion' even know why she talkin'." Darnell murmured to Daisha, licking the food from around his gums. "Everyone's energy seems so low today." Cleo added.

"Family, I have an announcement." Bishop Jacob finally spoke up, making everybody at the table stop eating and look his way. "Soon, Darius will be Head Pastor of Tabernacle." Jacob announced, making Darius frown.

His father talked to him about it, but Darius never gave him a yes or no answer, so he was confused on where his father got this from. "What?" Darnell—along with many others at the table—frowned in confusion.

"Come on, Pop. I—I thought we talked about this. You said if you ever needed to step down, imma' be next up." Darnell leaned forward, making eye contact with his father. "I know. But, God told me this is for Darius. This is Darius's calling." Jacob passionately spoke.

"Dad...I told you that I won't be the Pastor of this church with my circumstance right now. I can't and won't do it." Darius shook his head. "Well, this would be a great opportunity for us, baby." Cleo smiled, placing her hand on top of Darius's.