040

Chapter Fourty:
Believe In Us

Reese Ta'vian JacksonJacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida

'These niggas hating and praying that imma die next'

Reese smiled as he intently listened to Kirari explain the topic, he'd been walking for thirty minutes now. Truthfully, he was just glad that he had her with him.

She explained it and he finally understood it. They made a few jokes before she asked him the next question, which he answered correctly. Reese's memory was being tested and it felt like the normal shit that high schoolers do.

As he continued to walk beside the road, he sighed as he stared up at the sky. He admired the stars in the sky and reminisced that night when he and Kirari had watched the stars together. She was the only consistent thing in his life right now, he was so fucking grateful.

"Ta'vian, you still there?" Kirari questioned, he was silent for way too long.

Shaken off his train of thought, Reese replied, "Yeah, I'm 'ere. Just want you to know that I appreciate everything you do for me."

After Reese spoke, he looked down at his shoes, feeling like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Speaking to Kirari made him feel safe and understood, she made him feel cared for. Even though she knew what he'd just done, she still just focused on his future and how to improve it.

He prayed to God that he'd just leave Kirari all to him.

"Ion even be doin' a lot." Kirari mumbled, somewhat shy by the sudden confession.

All she wanted was for him to leave the hood, she wanted a safe and long life for him. Kirari and Reese had a rocky start and they'd overcome so many barriers that no teenagers should deal with.

Despite all that, they survived. They pushed through and they'd made it, all Kirari wanted was to ensure that in achieving all her goals to be successful, she would still be holding his hand.

Reese smacked his lips, "Come on na. You be makin' me study, cooking foh me, shit ion even know where I'd be at without you."

"You all I got out'chea." Reese shrugged, he knew that Leighton would have to go back to New York soon enough, his mama was there all by herself.

"Nah, you still got yo daddy." Kirari answered, she'd she'd nagging him to make up with his father.

"He kicked me out when all I wanted was to end shit for real."

"Reese, obviously he ain't gon' support his only child goin' after a thug. Fuck kinda parent would he be if he did?" She asked him, you could hear ruffling as she packed all her books away.

Feeling agitated, Reese stayed silent. He'd been missing his Pops this whole time but he knew that killing Blanco was the only way. Even though it might've costed him his relationship with his father, Reese would do it again.

Blanco was an issue that would've never went away had he not done what he did.

"Am I wrong though?" Kirari asked.

"Nah, you aint wrong." Reese sighed.

"Exactly, that's why you gotta go home today and make up with him while you still got time. He the only family beside Leighton that you got left." Kirari explained, she didn't want him to lose one of his biggest supporters.

While Reese continued to walk, he took in Kirari's words. His eyes perked up when he saw a car with bright lights on slow down as it got closer to him.

Reaching for his glock, Reese paused on what he was about to say to Kirari before he just stayed silent. He was watched as the car came to a stop before he finally realised whose car it was.

Taking his hand off his glock, Reese stood there as he watched his father roll down the window and stare at him. Keith smiled sadly before tilting his head, gesturing for Reese to get in the car.

Reese hung up, texted Kirari before he slipped into the car. He was confused as to how his father found him but he was glad that he did, had it been anyone else, Reese would've been dead.

"Are you done now?" Keith asked, breaking the silence as the he drove.

"I'm done now." Reese replied, his voice was low and smooth. He hadn't seen his father for a long time and now that he'd seen him, he realised just how much he really missed him.

"Good." Keith said, "I can't lose both of my kids."

"Nah, you won't, pops." Reese promised confidently.

Would that be a promise that he could keep? That was unclear.

-XX-

Pearl chuckled at her brother before taking a fry and eating it. They'd been chilling in McDonald's for the past hour, just sharing experiences and getting to know each other.

"I'm finna go order some more food." Kiyeon said as he stood up, walking down stairs.

Pearl nodded before he walked off, then she faced his British friend, Mo.

Mo was the quiet type but he seemed like he was overly-observant. He picked up on things that most people wouldn't pick up on which was how he was able to tell how shit Pearl was doing. At times, he was harsh but she'd learned that he didn't mean any harm.

"When'du move to the US?" Pearl asked Mo as she dipped her fry in sweet chilli sauce.

Mohammed was a 6'3, darkskin man who didn't talk much. His hair was trimmed short and on the sides was a nice, smooth fade. A neat, attractive beard coated his jaw and mustache area but left his thick, brown lips obvious. His teeth, although she'd never seen him smile, were perfect and pearly white.

Even the depth of his voice was unreal, it was as smooth as dark chocolate. Mixed in with the South London British accent, it was hard to deny that he was undeniably the most attractive man she'd come across.

"I moved a couple years ago, still. Been goin' back and forth cuh I got family back in England." He answered, his eyes still not meeting hers. Mo knew she was staring, he just wasn't phased.

"Whatchu think of Kiyeon so far?" Mo asked, finally facing her.

He was slouched in the seat, the hood of his Mocler coat covered his hair while his hands were tucked into his black tracksuit. His whole posture oozed calm and collectedness.

"I like him so much, it's still a bit of an adjustment but I'm glad I met him." Pearl smiled happily, this was the first time she'd genuinely smiled.

"Yeah, that nigga was searching to the ends of the Earth to find you." Mo chuckled, revealing his dimples to her which made her say something.

"Your dimples are cute." Pearl complimented him, she didn't think too deeply about it. He was her brother's friend.

"Is it?" He chuckled some more before pulling out his phone.

"Damn, you can't even say thank you." Pearl rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"Nah, I don't accept compliments from you." Mo shrugged, clearly setting a boundary between them which Pearl caught on to.

She had no intentions of flirting with him, but he interested her.

"I heard, Mohammed." Pearl replied.