Track 17: Taking Chances

Taking Chances by Celine Dion 

Jake: Whatcha up to?

Me: Nothing much, just corrupting the youth with some good ol Kanye.

Jake: ???

I snapchat a video of EJ rapping and dancing along to Kanye West's "Stronger" in the kitchen. He was helping me cook for the dinner at my brother's apartment Thursday night. We just finished shaping up sirloin patties for chopped steak. When we finished washing our hands, I saw I had a text from Jake.

Jake called me back while I was checking the baked potatoes in the oven. I could tell it was him by the ringtone.

"EJ, answer that for me!" I called to him, while I juggled hot potatoes from the oven rack to a waiting pan.

"Hello?... Yes.... she's right here." EJ then laughed. "She told me too...My dad is at work.... she's at work too... I don't know. Ok." I listened to half the conversation as I made my way to him.

"It's Jake." EJ said, handing it over.

"Hey." I said, with a smile. I haven't seen Jake since Sunday night. I know it's only been two days, but I missed him. Urgh, I need to get it together.

"Hey. What's EJ doing there?" Jake asked.

"He's gonna spend the night. I'm gonna drop him off at his camp in the morning before I go to work." I explained to Jake. Ethan only needed me to watch him after his basketball camp until he got off work, but I told Ethan that EJ could spend the night instead.

"Do y'all want some company?" Jake asked.

"Yes! And chives. And a chocolate bar." EJ's eyes widen. "Two chocolate bars." I corrected.

I was finishing up scooping out the last potato from the skin and into the bowl that EJ was mashing, when the doorbell rang. I went to go answer the door. Through the peep hole, I saw it was Jake. I opened the door and greeted him with a smile.

"Hola! {Hello}"

"Hola. Ven aqui y bésame. {Hello. Come here and kiss me}" He replied.

I stepped up on my tip toes, rested my hands on his shoulder and pecked him on the lips.

"Uno más. {One more}" He said, when I pulled back. I kissed him again, a little longer this time.

"Uno mas. {One more}" He repeated. I giggled and kissed him deeply. When his hand that wasn't carrying the grocery bag wrapped around my waist, forcing our bodies together, I pulled back.

"Stop it. There is a child present." I scolded him, with a grin on my face.

He returned my grin. "So? How does he think he got here?"

"Like all other babies. The baby store." I replied, letting him into the apartment.

He shook his head. "I heard of the stork, but not the baby store."

"Everyone knows the stork is not real. That's just the logo of the baby store's delivery van."

He chuckled as I led him to the dining room. EJ was still hard at work at the table, mashing potatoes.

"What's up EJ?" Jake greeted him.

"Nothing. I'm helping Lily, then were gonna play the Xbox Kinect she bought." EJ informed him.

"What? You did not buy him a Xbox." Jake asked me.

"Nope. I bought myself one. I wanna test it out before I buy one for Amber and her family." I replied, while walking to the kitchen to wash my hands.