Chapter 11

Akaashi glares down at the opened package on the dining room table. He'd found it waiting on the doorstep when he'd gotten home from work. Shouyou is gripping the edge of the table standing on his tiptoes trying to see into it. Kei leans on the other side of the table equally as eager.

"You look like you're trying to set whatever that is on fire," Suga jokes from the entryway. He slips his shoes over and goes over to peek in the box as well. "What's that?"

"It's from Bokuto," Akaashi sighs. He hands over the note that came with it.

"Your apartment has a total lack of volleyball merch and it's disturbing. So this is for you and the kids." Suga reads, he laughs and pulls out a stuffed Vabo-chan from the box. "That's cute."

"He likes to show off." Akaashi sighs. He takes the stuffed figure from Suga and hands it to Shouyou. The hyperactive toddler squeals happily and hugs it tightly.

"What else did he send?" Suga sits on the table and pulls the box closer to rifle through it.

"Black jackal jerseys, a few issues of volleyball monthly, knee and elbow pads for both boys," Akaashi takes out a toddler-sized MSBY black jackal jersey with the number twelve and Bokuto's name on the back. Kei climbs onto a chair and points at the box. Suga slides it to him and watches as Kei takes out his own jersey and the bigger of the kneepads. He pulls the jersey on over his t-shirt and hops off the chair before Akaashi can say anything. Seeing his son wearing Bokuto's name makes Akaashi's chest feel tight.

"So if it's just stuff like that why are you looking so pouty?" Suga flips through the volleyball magazines. Akaashi gives the other jersey to Shouyou and waits for him to run off before speaking.

"He did this in high school... He'd buy me snacks and little gifts... It's his way of courting or whatever," He picks up another issue of the volleyball magazine, this one with a picture of Bokuto on the cover. Suga snorts a laugh.

"Courting? God, you're weird Akaashi. Just say flirting like a normal person."

"He's the one that calls it courting." there's a thud as Shouyou falls over, tangled in his jersey. Kei takes a few steps back to avoid his flailing limbs. "Kei help your brother please." Kei's face scrunches up but he kneels down to wrestle his brother into the shirt.

"So what's your plan?" Suga turns the magazine sideways.

"Plan for what?"

"Bokuto-san. Are you gonna turn him down?"

"I already told him that I'm not looking for a relationship." Akaashi takes the rest of the stuff out of the box and breaks it down to put it into recycling later.

"Ah there's a jersey for you to Akaashi," Suga picks it up and examines it.

"You can have it." He puts the box next to the door.

"Mm, no thanks. You don't mean that."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because this is a real jersey and I'm pretty sure it's been worn before." He tosses the shirt to Akaashi who examines it. Suga is right, it's clearly one of Bokuto's game jerseys. "Not to mention the ones he got the boys are the right sizes and that one would be big on you."

"Great, now he's trying to mark me." Akaashi folds the shirt carefully and goes to put it in his bedroom.

"He says while keeping it." Suga hops off the table and goes to see if he can manage to untangle the mess of Shouyou's clothes.

Akaashi stands in front of his closet with the jersey in his hands. He was going to tuck it away in the back and forget about it but he lifts it up and sniffs it first. It smells like a mix of Bokuto's laundry detergent and body wash. He's still using the same ones he did in high school. Akaashi hates himself for remembering that. He moves to the bed and tucks the jersey under his pillow before going out to the living room.