𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHTanother kind of enemy

another kind of enemy.

•••

IT WAS ALMOST two in the morning when Bella drove back to the motel. There were no other cars or even pedestrians in sight. The street was dark and lonely, and the street-lamps stood like giants. The blonde-haired girl could feel her alertness growing, her hazel eyes couldn't stop glancing around warily.

But her attention shifted immediately as she felt a movement from the back seat of the car. She glanced briefly at it, at Kol who had just risen from his temporary death. The brown-haired original sat up, confusion was on his face as he touched his own neck.

"You snapped my neck," was the first words that came out from his mouth. His brown eyes narrowed in disbelief at her.

Without taking her eyes off the road, she replied, "Well, you snapped mine first." Her tone was nonchalant, and she shrugged. "I'd say we're even."

Kol's brows furrowed, and his gaze drifted off in thought as he tried to understand what had happened. By now, he had realized that Bella was only pretending to be drunk earlier so she could throw him off guard. The question wasㅡfor what? Just to get back at him? No, he didn't think so. There must be more to it than that.

"Darling, please stop the car," he said firmly. There was no hint of anger in his tone for what had happened, for what Bella had just done to him, but there was an unusual assertiveness in it that indicated that he really didn't like being disobeyed at the moment.

The blonde looked up to him through the rear-view mirror. Kol might never have been mad at herㅡhe always had bad temper, but not even once he ever took it out on herㅡ but Bella knew better than to mess with his patience. Without saying anything, she pulled the car over.

Climbing off out the car, Kol hurriedly went to check out the trunk. He had a guess as to why she did what she did, and his guess was proven right as he found out that his mother's grimoire was no longer there.

He looked over at her, who was now also outside the car and was leaning against the door. She was inspecting her nails at the moment, pretending she didn't notice his gaze at her. His eyes squinted as he inquired, "What did you do?"

"I did what I had to do," she answered, and finally turned to him, "preventing you from doing something stupid."

Her answer made him squint his eyes even more, and as he started walking towards her, she straightened herself up. "Think about it, Kol. You and your family have so many enemies." It was a fact, and even he quietly admitted it. "Not that I'm saying you guys need it," she went on, by now he was already right in front of her, "but right now, all the vampires in the world, enemy or not, would want to help keep you and your family safe. It puts all of you in an advantageous position. But if you unlink them from youㅡ"