37 | I Love You

Dedicated to itshamna for being such an amazing reader and leaving sweet comments.

Chapter Thirty Seven: I Love You

[Recap]

"What's the first thing you like about me?"

Chris moves even closer to her.
"You really wanna know?" He smirks.

"Yes."

He smiles as he tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. His hand lingers there as he stares intensely at her. Steph feels weird with the way he's staring at her but she doesn't look away. Instead, she swallows the lump in her throat. His eyes darken as they move to her lips and he remembers how it felt like kissing her. He wants to feel like that again so he finds himself leaning in.

...

Stephanie stands there -- frozen. The air around them seems to have shifted and she finds herself recalling the one and only time she has kissed him. When he begins to lean in, she mentally panics. Her head yells at her to do something to stop what she thinks is about to happen.

Do something Steph! Pull away, say something, slap him, look away, run away. Just do something -- anything -- to stop what's about to happen. You shouldn't let him kiss you. He's a player. And he's not the guy you like.

But she does nothing. She's just standing there, waiting for something to happen.

'You're doing nothing because you want this to happen,' her subconscious tells her.

She feels her eyes about to flutter close when his lips are millimeters from touching her. And then ---

She hears it -- the loud honk that makes her to jump in surprise which causes the ball to slip out of her hold and equally bringing her out of her daze. She backs away from Chris as if being close to him will burn her.
She looks to see a familiar car pull into the driveway--close to where they're standing.

Chris on the other hand, shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath.

Why? Why did they have to be interrupted? Why? Is the universe against him or something?

He opens his eyes to see that Steph isn't standing close to him again. She's busy picking up the basketball.

"Dude, Coach's mad at you," the interrupter voice yells.

Chris knows that voice. He can recognize it anywhere, even in his sleep. Why didn't he wait a few more minutes before coming over? Why couldn't something or someone delay him for a minute before he came? Chris turns around to see Jason slamming the door of his car shut.

"Did you hear me? Coach's mad at you, dude." Jason reiterates as he walks closer to Chris.

"I know and I heard you the first time," Chris replies, running a hand through his hair in frustration. Jason doesn't even know that he has interrupted a moment.

"Who's this?" Jason asks as his eyes settle on Stephanie.

Chris really didn't want Jason to meet Hazel. At least not yet. It was only yesterday that Jason teased him and asked when he'll get to meet her. Now he's here and she's here also. He ruined the chance of him kissing her again and Chris feels like hitting him or something.

"Hi," Steph says to Jason, holding the basketball under her arm.

"Hey you," Jason smiles at her.

Chris sighs. "Hazel, this is Jason. Jason, Hazel." He does it reluctantly.