48 | Happy Birthday

Chapter Forty Eight: Happy Birthday

Chris awakes to the sound of his phone ringing. He stirs on his bed and hopes the annoying sound stops. He sighs in relief when it does, only for him to groan when it starts again.

"Oh God!" He mutters as he reaches over to get his phone from the nightstand. He stares at the screen and rolls his eyes when he sees that it's a FaceTime call from none other than Jason. He considers declining it but knowing Jason he would just keep calling. Jason's face appears after he answers it. He has always been the first one to wish him on his birthday among his friends.

"Happy happy happy happy birthday. Happy happy happy happy birthday. Happy happy happy happy birthday. Chris, I wish you a happy--"

"Do you have to sing?" Chris interrupts his singing. "Do you have to torture me with your awful singing voice this lovely morning?"

Jason glares at him through the screen. "You're an asshole. You think everyone can sing like you, huh? You're a jackass, dude. I can't believe we're gonna be brothers." Jason grumbles, feigning anger with so much seriousness that you'd think he means it.

They stare at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter. Jason was just joking and they both know it.

"You really have a terrible singing voice though," Chris points out.

"Trust me, I know. Piper doesn't fail to remind me every time I sing. But luckily for me, she's not so great either so we just tease each other about it," Jason chuckles.

"You're really happy with her," Chris states.

"Yeah, she makes me happy. More than Hayley did."

"I'm glad."

"Anyways, Happy Birthday, dude. Hope all your wishes come true today."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. But have it in mind that when we eventually become brothers, I'd wake you with a bucket of cold water on your birthday." Jason informs him with a grin.

Chris chuckles. "I'm looking forward to it."

"I have a present for you. You'll get it soon. So how does it feel to be 18....."

After ending the call with Jason, Chris gets a call from Max too and messages from some girls he doesn't even know. He always wonders how they got his number. It might forever be a mystery to him.

After dropping his phone, Chris kneels down beside his bed and says a quick prayer of Thanksgiving to God. He has never been a religious guy but he believes it's only right to thank his creator for adding another year to his years on Earth. He heads into his bathroom to brush his teeth after and then proceeds downstairs for breakfast. He meets his mum and Emily in the kitchen and on sighting him, Emily immediately jumps into his arms.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you, big bro. Happy birthday to you," Emily sings.

Chris laughs and their mum grins.

"Happy birthday to the best big brother in the world!" Emily exclaims in excitement.

Chris hugs her wholeheartedly and then ruffles her hair. "Thank you to the best little sister in the world."

"I have a present for you," Emily announces before getting out of his arms and hurrying off to get it.

Chris watches her go before looking at his mum who is setting a plate of French toast on the kitchen island.
"Hmm... that looks and smells delicious, mum."