35 | Lie

Chapter Thirty Five: Lie

Instead of Brooke heading in the direction her boyfriend did, she doesn't. She heads in the opposite direction, exiting the cafeteria. She goes in search of Jason with the intent of asking him what all that was all about. She finds him close to the principal's office with Max, probably waiting for someone. She approaches them.

"Hey. Where's Chris?" She asks when she's close enough.

"He's still with the principal," Max answers.

"What was that all about?" Brooke inquires.

"You didn't hear?"

"Not really. I couldn't make out what was being said. I stay away from Ivy as much as I can, even in the cafeteria."

"I guess they weren't as loud as I thought. Well --"
He stops talking when the door of the principal's office opens. They all stare as Chris comes out.

Jason speaks first. "What did he say?"

Chris shrugs, as if not affected by the situation at hand.
"I've been suspended."

Jason looks up and let's out a sigh, as though he was expecting this.

"Isn't that a little too much?" Max questions.

"How many weeks?"

"Just two days," Chris shrugs again.

"Keep acting like this doesn't bother you. How do you think your mum will react to this?" Jason says, narrowing his eyes at Chris.

Chris shrugs yet again. "Well, I guess I'm going to find out."

"Hey Brooke," Chris says, just realising she's there as he begins to walk away.

"Hey, we haven't talked about what happened," Jason calls after him.

"We'll talk later. You guys can come over after school. I'll be home," Chris replies, not bothering to stop or slow his pace.

They watch him walk away before Brooke speaks.
"Can someone tell me what the hell happened?"

"Chris got mad and decided to confront Ivy," Jason offers.

"What did she do?" Brooke inquires.
She knows Chris has hated her since they broke up or rather, she cheated on him. He hasn't spoken a word to her since then - from what she heard. Whatever she did that made him to do this must be serious.

"She threatened some girl. Hazel, was it?" Jason looks at Max to affirm the name.

Max nods. "I think it's only Chris that calls her that. She goes by Stephanie."

"Steph?" Brooke gapes.
Ivy did threaten Steph but that was weeks ago.

Jason's eyebrows furrow. "Wait. Isn't she the one I asked you about this morning?"

"Yeah, she is. Ivy threatened her but that was a few weeks ago."

"She wasn't in class for first period and it seems Chris doesn't have either of your phone numbers, so he asked me to ask you about her whereabouts," Jason explains.

"Oh my God! That bitch did something to Steph," Brooke bellows.

"Yeah."

"And Steph lied to me," she adds bemusedly. Why would Steph lie to her?

She clenches her fists, thinking of different ways to hurt poison Ivy and end her social life. The boys notice the look on her face.

"Calm down," Max tells her. "Calm down before you do something that will put you in Chris' position."