Chapter 16

Clove's POV:

When I woke the next morning, I was excited to see Cato. I threw my blanket off of me and rushed to the bathroom. After taking a quick shower and brushing my teeth, I changed and rushed down the stairs with my bag. When I entered the dining room, I saw my mum sitting in her usual seat drinking coffee, as per usual, and I grabbed an apple and sat down with her.

I ate in silence and threw the scraps away when I finished. "Bye mum." I called as I left the house. I walked to school and Joan soon joined me.

"How was the date?" She asked interestedly.

"It was good. He made dinner, we watched a movie and danced under the stars." She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Movie?"

"It's like the film that the Capitol shows us, but it's like a story."

"Oh okay. Was it good?" She asked as we approached the school.

"It was actually pretty good." I said with a smile.

As we arrived, I could hear someone jogging behind us.

"Clove!" Someone shouted. We both turned and saw Cato coming up to us.

"Hey Cato." I said warmly.

"Hello Hadley." Joan said with a small smile.

"Ladies." He said as he reached us and gave me a small kiss.

"I'll give you guys some time to catch up. I'd rather not watch you make out." She laughed as she walked away from us.

I looked up at the dark cloudy sky before saying, "Looks like it's going to rain."

"Yeah, let's get inside." Cato said as he led me inside the school. We walked down the hallways and stopped at our lockers to retrieve our books. He dropped me off at my classroom and gave me a small kiss before leaving.

Sadly, I had math first. I took my usual seat and a short teacher with dark hair placed a worksheet on my desk. I gave it a quick look and realised that it was the easiest thing we've done in years. I leaned back in my chair and waited for the rest of the class to arrive. When everyone arrived, we were told to finish the worksheet in the first period.

I flew through the worksheet and was planning to just sit in my seat for the rest of the period, but my bladder had other plans. I walked up to the teacher and handed her the sheet before asked for a bathroom pass. She handed me a green piece of paper and I left the classroom. I walked down the deserted hallways, but I soon spotted someone moving around the corner. When I rounded the corner, I saw a boy with spiky blonde hair kissing a girl with similar blonde hair. It was Cato kissing someone I recognised to be Chloe. He was pressed up against the lockers and she was pressing her body against his.

Anger and adrenaline coursed through my veins. I walked towards them and grabbed Chloe by the back of her neck. I threw her to the floor before turning to Cato.

"You're a fucking asshole!" I yelled loud enough for the whole school to hear. I could see that she was trying to scoot away as slowly as possible.

"Don't even think about moving any further than that, bitch!" I yelled without turning. Before Cato could say anything, I threw a punch at his face and he groaned in pain. I whipped around and stared at the cowering girl on the floor.

I walked over to her and stomped on her face. "That's what you get for kissing my boyfriend." I said calmly before storming off. Instead of going back to class, I rushed to the training academy. My muscles tensed as I walked. I walked as fast as I could, afraid I would bump into someone and kill them on the spot. When I arrived, I threw the doors open and stormed into the main training room. I walked into the dimly lit room and looked for my favourite knife.

I walked over to the stimulator and turned it to the hardest setting. I'd never been able to complete it. No one has ever competed this level. Holograms appeared all around me and all charged at me at the same time. I dodged all of them and stabbed them in the head and heart. It felt like there was an infinite amount, but I knew I could deal with all of them. Every time one tried to attack me, I pretended it was Cato and killed it in an instant.

Part of the reason no one could finish this level was because it went on for 10 minutes. It was 10 minutes of nonstop killing and every second at least 2 new holograms appeared. I was starting to get tired, but as I killed the largest hologram, the simulation stopped.

"Clove!" Someone yelled. I walked out of it and started throwing my knives at the target. Cato appeared in the doorway and he appeared to be sweaty.

"Clove, let me explain." He said as he walked towards me. I stopped throwing my knives and picked up the largest machete I could find while holding a handful of the sharpest knives in the academy.

I twirled the machete in one hand as I walked towards him slowly. His eyes were filled with fear as I approached him.

"There's no need to explain." I said menacingly. I was soon right in front of him. I glared at him before speaking. "Leave now or your head will be on the end of this machete." I said lowly as I held up the machete. When he didn't budge, I stepped closer to him. It was hard to be intimidating when the other person was at least a head taller than you, but I tried my best.

"You better run. This won't end well for you." I said as I started digging my knife into his stomach.

"Let me explain, Clove." He said gently. I dug my knife deeper and I finally felt blood start streaming out of the wound. Cato winced slightly before I backed away.

"That was a warning. Now leave!" I warned as I turned around and started walking back towards the dummies. He looked at me, shocked, for a moment as if he was surprised that I'd hurt him. I could see his jaw clench and his eyes harden before he turned and walked out.

A slight pang of guilt built up in my stomach, but I then remembered what he did to me. My features hardened. He was never going to be forgiven and he was going to pay.

A/N Hey everyone, sorry that this is a short chapter. I will be updating another one soon. Please don't hesitate to comment and vote. I'm always happy to get feedback and know what my readers think. Thank you all for reading.