chapter 10: one reason

A feeling of sorrow shivers down my spine as I leave my mom's office, heading to pick my stuff up from the kitchen. My chest aches. My head throbs. My family is falling apart and there is absolutely nothing I can do to save it before it crumbles. It's coming down, fast and hard and we are going to have to figure out how to get used to the life we are living in.

But right now, all I can feel is anger and there is nothing my swimming thoughts can do for me now. I need to get a level head before coming up with a game plan. My body suddenly exhausted despite not doing much and as I carefully carry myself up the stairs, I'm lost in thought. Going back and forth between my parents, school and the thing bothering me the most. Felix.

Before I can even start to sort through my thoughts, before my door even comes into my line of sight I find myself running into tough chest. It feels familiar but it isn't one of my brothers, and sure enough when I raise my head to meet the eyes of the person holding me up right I come face to face with Felix, once again.

"We've got to stop meeting like this, Nicks," he chuckles, resting his hand on the small of my back to hold me up right and my chest feels like it might explode.

A sigh falls from my lips. "Why do you keep showing up in my house?"

"Ran into Isaac after practice. He invited me over, I'd be stupid not to accept," he smiles softly. "Did you think about what I asked you?"

"Not yet, no," I shake my head though it's a lie. It's all I've been thinking about.

"Well...let me know when you make a decision," he tells me, his fingertips leaving my skin as he steps around me to get to the bathroom door. I feel like I might topple over when he let's go of me, my stomach in my throat.

It's almost too much for me to handle and my friends have been no help. They think I should go for it because he's Felix Montgomery, but I know he's more than his name. He wants to be more than just a face and, because I know that – I know there is more reason to be confused. He wishes to live in the shadows while I can't help but want to break away from mine.

Talking to Riker had been helpful, but I can only ask him so much without telling him why I'm asking and I'm not exactly in a place where talking about the golden boy wanting to take me on a date sounds like a good idea. He'd freak, I'm sure of it. All of my brothers would, because I'm their baby sister and they feel as if it's their duty to protect me. I can only hope that eventually they learn they can't protect me from everything.

Walking towards my room, I stop when I see Riker's door ajar and spot the bundle of red hair sitting on the couch at the end of his bed. If there is one person I can hopefully turn to, it's Lena and maybe she'll be able to give me insight I can't find on my own. She's bright and ever since she started dating Riker, she's been like a sister I never knew I needed.

"Hey baby sister," Riker perks up when he spots me in his doorway. "What can I do for you?"

"Nothing actually," I laugh and eye Lena. "Lena, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure, babe," she nods. "What's up?"

"Alone?"

"Oh, girl talk," she grins and hops up from the couch. "You've got it. I'll be back, Rik."

"I'll have her back to you soon enough," I assure my older brother as I lead Lena down the hall towards my room, setting my bag on my desk chair with my camera bag before kicking my shoes off.

"So, what's up, girlie?" Lena asks as she plops down on the end of my bed, turning onto her side as I walk around to join her on the bed. "Stevie, you're freaking me out. What's wrong?"