Sherlock: His Birthday

You snuck in the door, hoping not to wake the sleeping giant. It was 5:30 am, he usually awoke around 7:30. The things I do for love. As ungodly of an hour as it was, it was necessary. Had you gone when Sherlock was awake, he would have sensed you were buying a cake, his favorite tea, and a gift. He would have sensed all this coming before you even walked through the door of 221B. Thankfully the shops were open at this time of morning. You tiptoed into the kitchen, setting out the tea and putting the cake in the fridge. You brought the gift to the living room along with the gift bag. It was dark navy, sleek and sexy, just like him. You wrapped up the present and set it inside carefully, then put more tissues paper inside to make it look respectable. He wouldn't care about how it looked on the outside, once he held the little black box in his hand he'd know exactly what you got him, and you prayed to God he'd like it. Shopping for Sherlock was like shopping for a baby - they don't tell you what they want, but if you give them the wrong thing, they throw a fit. You didn't want anything to be wrong today, it is in fact the day the man you love was born. You knew how he felt about his birthday, he didn't like celebrating it, that had been made clear last year, but you didn't care. Faintly, you heard padded footsteps down the hall, then the bathroom door open and shut. The shower turned on and you bolted to the kitchen, starting breakfast. 10 minutes later the shower stopped, the door opened, and then the bedroom door shut again. You smiled happily to yourself knowing he couldn't lock himself in there again, you had switched the door so that it locked from the outside now. Right on cue, you heard the doorknob being turned and twisted, then a huff of frustration. You slipped the eggs and toast onto a plate, then poured his tea. Your back was turned away, but you knew he was right behind you. His breathing was light, almost inaudible, but his presence was blaring. You turned around, and bumped your nose into his collar. You looked up, pretending to be annoyed with his close proximity, but you only wanted to hug him.

"Back up," you stated harshly. His eyebrows crinkled together, not expecting you to be so cold, especially not today when last year you had been anything but.

"The door handle," he stated simply.

"It's so I can lock you in there when you get too annoying." Instantly you regretted your words, you hadn't meant to sound so mean, you were playing the part too well. He turned round to the table, studying the meal.

"You made this for me?" he asked.

"Yeah, just like any other Sunday," you replied nonchalantly. It was true, the tradition held that Sunday's you made him breakfast (and many other days besides that). He nodded slightly, agreeing with the reasoning, then went to the chair and sat down. He actually took a bite, which surprised you, and kept his head down, focusing on his plate. Dismissing his odd behavior, you headed to the living room, realizing you had left the gift on the coffee table. You snatched it up and searched the room for anywhere he wouldn't look. Then a light bulb came on and you padded to the bathroom. You closed the door and opened up a tampon box, it was mostly empty and the bag was small so it fit perfectly. Sherlock could smell out presents like a dog with its bone. You had also discovered that last year. You flushed the toilet so he wouldn't be suspicious, then exited the bathroom, going into the kitchen. Sherlock still say the table, but instead of eating, was texting.

"You done?" you asked, motioning towards his plate. He nodded and you took it. "So what do you want to do today?"

"Why would I have anything to do today?" he shot back. You sensed a hint of excitement in his voice.

"Well Sunday's are always slow for us, I was thinking if you don't have a case we could hang out with John and Mary, or rent a movie, which it's my turn to pick this time, or we could play a board game."

"Why would we go see John and Mary?" he asked suspiciously.

"Because it's been a week and a half and I miss them, I thought you would too."