16

As Rue strolled towards her house, the lingering sensation of Mr. Fox's lips on hers sent a wave of enchantment through her. She absentmindedly caressed her lips, lost in a dreamy trance, as she closed the door behind her and leaned against it. The events that had unfolded just moments ago outside seemed almost surreal. He had actually kissed her back.

"Ew! So you have a thing for older men now?" A voice interrupted Rue's reverie, and she opened her eyes to find Eli, her mischievous brother, standing before her.

"I saw the two of you locking lips," he added, a mischievous grin playing on his face.

"Mind your own business," Rue reprimanded him, her tone sharp.

Eli chuckled wickedly. "Oh, I am minding my own business," he retorted, clearly relishing the opportunity to tease his sister.

"You took the jewelry that came with my dress," she pointed accusingly at him.

"I was merely claiming what is rightfully mine, dear sister," he replied with a sly smirk.

Before Rue could respond, their attention was diverted by a sudden outburst of screams. Her father stormed into view, his face red with anger, and her mother followed closely behind, unleashing a torrent of insults at him.

"It's my house!" her father bellowed at her mother.

"And it's in my name!" her mother shot back, her voice filled with defiance.

Her sister, Zoe, descended the stairs, followed by her young daughter.

"I dare you to sell it," their father challenged their mother, his voice seething with rage.

"What are you going to do about it?" her mother retorted, her gaze filled with a fiery glare.

"You're the worst mistake I ever made! Look at what I've become, all to please you," her father exclaimed, throwing his arms up in frustration, his words echoing through the dilapidated house.

"Yeah..." her mother spat, her voice dripping with contempt. "Well, maybe I should have married Tim. He was wealthier," she added venomously.

Rue's father was consumed by fury, and she sensed that the situation could soon turn deadly. Acting swiftly, she hurried upstairs and instructed Zoe and her niece to return to sleep. They complied and followed her, while Eli remained downstairs. Ever the loyal mama's boy, he was determined to defend their mother.

The three of them entered Rue's bedroom, seeking refuge from the chaos below. Rue made her way to the windows, intending to shut them and shut out the world outside. In the process, she caught a glimpse of Mr. Fox standing in his room, his gaze fixed on her window. She watched him for a brief moment before closing the window and drawing the curtains, concealing her room from his view.

"That's an expensive dress," Zoe commented as she carefully put away her evening attire.

"Tony bought it," Rue whispered, her voice barely audible.

"Tony?" Zoe's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

The sounds of their parents' heated argument seeped through the walls, serving as a constant reminder of the crumbling state of their family.

"Do you think Mom should sell the house?" Zoe asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"No," Rue replied firmly. "It's Dad's family home. You saw how hard he fought to reclaim it."

Zoe shook her head, a look of resignation crossing her face. "But it's falling apart, Rue. Maybe he should sell it now while there's a willing buyer. Otherwise, no one in their right mind would want it."

A flicker of curiosity crossed Rue's mind. "Aren't you curious why a stranger is so interested in this particular house, even in its dilapidated state? There are plenty of other houses for sale in much better condition," she questioned her sister.

Zoe shrugged. "It's good money, Rue. I don't understand why Dad won't just agree."

Rue looked at her younger sister, rarely did they ever find themselves in the same room for long and having such kind of conversation. These time often reminded her of being a big sister, protecting Zoe, guiding her. She would wish that things would remain this way. But, she knew in the morning things would settle back to normal.

"It is sentimental to him. He has his memories here with his family and us." Rue whispered.

"It is just a feeling and we need the money," Zoe said as her daughter came to sit with her.

"Somethings in life are priceless, Zoe." Rue responded texting Tony to see if he had arrived home.

"Not with me," She smiled, "Everything in this life has a price and that is why i will marry a rich man."

Rue shook her head, unsurprised by her sister's perspective. She knew that her sister, like their mother, spoke the language of money.

"I hope it works out for you," Rue sincerely told her sister.

"I hope it does for you too, with Mr. Fox," Zoe spoke, her eyes widening in surprise that her sister knew about him.

"I noticed how you always stared at him, and that window is where you spent most of your free time," Rue tilted her head towards the closed window.

"I want him, sister," Rue confessed, relieved to finally speak those words out loud to someone else.

"I know," Zoe squealed with excitement.

The noises from downstairs ceased, and Rue felt a pang of sadness knowing that this moment would soon come to an end.

"We can sleep here," Zoe suggested and she nodded.