F O U R T Y

The entire town of Maybella spent the beginning of summer completely invested in the events that unfolded with Nikolai

The entire town of Maybella spent the beginning of summer completely invested in the events that unfolded with Nikolai. Although his plan for my demise was surely crazy as hell, I couldn't help but feel bittersweet about knowing that two lives were still lost-good or bad.

The investigation all but ended with a haunting conclusion, and Nikolai had earned several nicknames given to him by the local townspeople: The Maybella Mutilator, The Cabin Cager, and the most accurate one of all, the Sterling Wolf Man. Apparently, there was a witness to his fall into the ocean, calling out sights of his sterling white coat of diamonds glistening by the dark lapping waves. Unsurprisingly enough, the nickname never truly stuck due to the witness being disregarded as nothing but a crazy conspiracist. Who knew that the craziest conspiracies had a chance of being the absolute truth?

Leone and I had an undeniable connection to the events that happened, only further solidifying my parents' advice about us having to run away somewhere to start a new life together. The last thing we wanted to do was garner any more attention from prying mouths and ears for the sake of our safety, including my family's.

My dad had given us the supportive guidance on the next few steps Leone and I could take together as a couple that has now been bonded by blood.

He gave us the address to his old family's estate—the family that disowned him from the past. The only way this worked is because apparently his brother's son, his nephew who was about the same age as me, had solely inherited everything the previous Demecrio generation had passed down to him. He had apparently always been reaching out to my dad, inviting him back to the family estate in hopes to reinforce familial ties, but my dad had just never been able to gather the courage to write back, until now.

My dad wrote a letter back to him, catching up and informing him about my unique situation with Leone. Luckily enough, the nephew was kind enough to extend a helping hand, even going as far as sending us beautiful pictures of the estate that had now been turned into a large, extravagant castle with its own botanical gardens, vast stretches of farmland, and countless cattle.

Being able to unwind and settle at a specific place, like the family estate, would surely help us thrive until we're able to stand on our own feet. Soon enough, we'll be living the life we've always dreamt of.

The sunset shone down at my house as Leone and I stood on the porch, our hands intertwined along with the pounding of our hearts. He adjusted the bouquet of vibrant sunflowers in his trembling hands, his fingers brushing against the velvety petals.

"You okay?" I asked gently.

I watched Leone take a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for the moment in which he'd finally meet my family for the first time. "Yeah. How do I look?" He nervously smiled, looking up at me with his large innocent looking eyes.

"Gorgeous." I say without hesitation. "How about me?"

"Handsome." He chirped as a blush came over both our faces.