T W E N T Y S E V E N

As soon as I came home from the skatepark, I quickly began to work on a surprise I wanted to do for my newfound friends

As soon as I came home from the skatepark, I quickly began to work on a surprise I wanted to do for my newfound friends. I also wanted to do a special dinner tonight to celebrate the awards I had received today with my father.

As a kid growing up in the small town of Maybella, I always felt like a bit of an outsider. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't seem to make friends with the other kids in my class or in this town as a whole. After the crash, I always got shut out or abandoned because of my tainted reputation as the gay mentally ill child who was deemed just as imperfect as my dysfunctional parents.

As a result, I had no choice but to turn to the animals and plants around me for friendship instead of trying to be friends with people. I spent hours exploring the fields and woods that surrounded our house as much as I could, studying the different types of flowers and trees that grew there and figuring out how to draw them just like how my mother taught me. I made friends with the birds and squirrels that lived in the trees, and even managed to find and nurse a wild rabbit that was hurting in his leg just as I was. After helping him out of some man-made obstruction that had hurt him, I looked after him until his leg healed, leaving nothing but a scar as a symbol of his perseverance.

In a weird way I saw myself in the bunny rabbit so I vowed that I would make sure that he'd be able to properly heal his leg and get to walk normally again, unlike me. He started thumping and hopping across my room in no time and that's why I named him Thumper.

Thumper and I were inseparable and before all the bullying got much more severe at school I specifically remember an instance where I was outside spending time with him. He was hopping along beside me as I went on my adventures out into the woods like usual, only this time I had plans of returning him out into the wild.

Even now, I still can't forget what happened that day Eric had spotted me walking towards the thick evergreen woods with the bunny.

"Hey it's okay, I'm not here to hurt you." My legs shook with every step that I took back as I watched Eric raise both of his arms up at me in attempts to calm me down.

"W-What do you want?" I asked out in a broken voice as I eventually fell back against a bed of thick leaves, causing Thumper to hop right over to me, nuzzling up against me in an attempts to comfort my hard fall.

"Is that you're friend over there?" Eric began to take a few steps towards me.

I immediately picked up Thumper and protectively buried him right behind my jacket pocket. "What do you want?" I repeated out in a nervous whisper.

"Look, I know me and the guys have been a little rough on you at school lately, but it's all jokes, I swear. We just like to play around a lot and so I followed you here to check up on you." Eric somberly spoke as he got closer.

"Check up on me?" I repeated in disbelief.

Eric slowly nodded. "What's his name?" He whispered out once we became only a few distances away from each other.