T W E N T Y O N E

I awoke in a startled state, my body covered in a blanket of cold sweat

I awoke in a startled state, my body covered in a blanket of cold sweat. I had just experienced a truly horrific nightmare.

The dream began ominously enough. I was walking down a long, winding path, surrounded by a dark foggy forest until I reached a familiar clearing of a cliff that stood right above the heavy waves that were mercilessly lapping right against the rocks. The sun suddenly vanished, replaced by a menacing darkness that seemed to stretch on for eternity. I heard a few troubling whispers that forced me towards the edge of the cliff, feeling my fear grow with every shaky step. Suddenly, a large dark cloud of smoke appeared right behind me, its fumes bared and its vapor livid. I cried out in terror as the dark cloud began to chase after me, its powerful mass propelling itself closer and closer. I frantically tried to run, but it felt like I was stuck in a nightmare-fueled trance.

The cloud eventually lunged at me, and that's when I woke up, jolting out of bed with my heart racing and my body trembling. My clammy hands frantically rummaged all over my body for reassurance that I was fine and okay.

I eventually managed to calm down after awhile, but the fear lingered. It was a reminder of a previous nightmare I've had a long time ago, a reminder how powerful nightmares can be when my mind unconsciously takes me to dark and mysterious places.

A fit of terrible coughs soon followed right after having to process my horrible awakening. I ran my hand through my hair and face, exhaling with a tired mewl as I felt an unwarranted fever reverberate all over my body.

"Leone where is my breakfast!" My father scolded from downstairs.

I coughed out once more before responding with an awful sounding voice. "I'm c-coming father!" I quickly got dressed and headed downstairs with an unruly look. "Father?" I feebly let out once I had reached downstairs.

My father was unusually nowhere to be found, until all of a sudden I felt a tight grip around my hair and throat. My weak morning senses had no time to react as I gagged and whimpered all throughout the process of him forcibly pulling me into the kitchen, slamming my aching body down to make it crumple against the cold hard floor.

"What's gotten you so forgetful lately, huh!?" He yelled, following up his words with a merciless kick right against my stomach.

I immediately brought my hands over to where he had just kicked me, processing all the air leave my lungs as an ache rippled all throughout my ribs and stomach. "I'm-I'm sorry, father. I just-I had a nightmare, and I woke up not feeling so good." I wheezed and coughed out yet again, feeling my entire body succumb to it's inevitable fever.

He rapidly swung his hand across my dewy cheek. "You think I give a shit about how you feel? Huh?" I sat on the floor completely torn. "Answer me!"

"No." I brokenly let out with a flinching sob.

"Then get the fuck up and do what you're supposed to do, now!" He roared, throwing the fridge open to hurl a bag of bagels, a container of butter, and all other sorts of food at me while I cried. "I'm the only one in this goddamn house who has to work day and night, and I can't even wake up with food on the table!?"