xlii

DAYVON DAQUAN BENNETT
|22|

"YOU THINK she'a like this?" Dayvon asked Eboni on FaceTime as he browsed through engagement rings for Peace

"Yea— move the phone over." Eboni spoke as a specific ring caught her eye and she knew it was for her daughter. "That one right there Von. I can't believe you tryin' to marry my baby I'm about to die."

"It's 'bout that time Eb." He smiled as he eyed the diamond ring. "Once I heard Grandbabii goin' by Bennett it's only right that she do too. Jones borin' as hell."

"Boy." Eboni laughed as she looked at the price of the ring. "That muhfucka' cost a grip."

"On gang." He spoke before turning to Wafi, the jewelry. "This the one gang, how much is it?"

"That's a ten carat center stone, and twelve carat accenting stones and is going for three hundred and fifty thousand." Wafi spoke as he looked down at the specific ring Von was asking for.

"Dayum." Eboni screeched. "That muhfucka' cost'a arm and a leg."

"Ring it up for my Wafi." Von laughed as he watched Wafi nod and carefully grab the ring.

"I'll be back in a few." Wafi spoke walking towards the back.

"On god her ass better say yeah 'cause if she don't, on my soul ima' rock her shit." Von spoke forgetting he was on the phone with Eboni.

"Not too much on my daughter Ike." Eboni spoke. "Not too fuckin' much."

"You think she gon' say yes?" Dayvon asked as he bit his at nails waiting for Wafi to come back with the ring.

"Hell yeah." Eboni immediately answered. "She in love with your sideshow bob lookin' ass. How you gon' propose?"

"When I'm beatin' her doonies. She always say yes then." He shrugged forgetting he was on the phone with the woman who was basically her mother.

"What you say? My damn speakers low."

"I said ima' ask while I'm givin' her donuts." He spoke as Wafi walked back in with a dark blue bag that said Jewelry Unlimited. "I'ma call you back Eb."

"Ight." Eboni spoke before hanging up as Dayvon stuck his phone in his pocket.

"Ok that'll be three-hundred and fifty even." Wafi spoke as he handed Von the bag, Von pulled his black card from his pocket before swiping it on the scanner.

"Good looks Wafi." Von spoke as he grabbed the bag and his receipt.

"Always a pleasure." Wafi spoke nodding his head. "I hope the lucky lady loves it. Congratulations."

"Thank you." He spoke. "I hope she do too. Or ima' have to lock her ass in the basement until she say yeah."

Wafi made a face of confusion making Dayvon laugh before speaking up. "I'm just playin' folks." He spoke making Wafi laugh. No I'm not. He thought, he was dead serious. Peace only had one answer and it wasn't 'no'.