32| Beckham

Edited.

A week. It had been an entire week since Nyx's world came toppling down on her, since her mom plunged back into her life, since her dad had been arrested. And most importantly, a week since she'd last seen her sisters. I knew it was picking at her, not having been isolated from them for so long before. But I also knew she needed space. It was a privilege she'd never really had. It was always problem after problem and not for one second did she think to stop and take a breather. So when she asked for space, I promised that I'd do my absolute best to make sure she had it. It was the least I could do after everything she'd been through.

With permission from Nyx, Benson had been acquainted with the entire situation. The two didn't get along in the beginning, but when I communicated the news, it looked like he was ready to go to battle on her behalf. But Nyx didn't want a fuss. She wanted peace and quiet. So Benson took up her spot as an event planner, managing to balance it with his position as coach. Another match down plus one fundraiser. The match was another loss. It wasn't the same without her there.

The event lacked enthusiasm, although it was a success. And many people showed up too, having heard snippets of gossip about Nyx and they wanted to see how she was doing. As if I'd let them treat my girlfriend like a new artefact in a museum. There was supposed to have been another match and fundraiser, since we were nearing the halfway point in the Grandslam Championships, but after seeing how shit everyone was doing, Benson called into the organisers.

Without giving too much of Nyx's situation away, he explained everything. The event organisers discussed things with the coach and team over at Ravenwood. We may have been rivals on the ice, but we were still human once we left it. Everyone was in agreement for a timeout on the sixth match, not on the entire championships, just on the ice hockey match. After the halfway mark, both universities get a month off. Benson had asked if the hockey team could move their sixth match to after the break. It meant we'd be finishing the championships a week later. But it also meant giving Nyx and the boys time to rest.

"Where is she?"

I peeped over my shoulder at Annie, who was following me into the rink parking lot. It was the same routine every day, one I wondered if she'd ever get tired of. Personally, it was becoming vexatious, her chasing me down. And she wasn't subtle about it either. She'd yell my name until I paid attention.

"Beckham!" Annie hollered, tracing my footsteps. I disregarded her, unlocking my car. "Beckham, please!" Her voice was beseeching, and when I peered at her, I noticed tears in her brown eyes. But it wasn't going to work on me. She'd tried that days ago already and her attempt was futile. "Where is she?"