2| Beckham

Edited.

"She's a fucking sociopath," I grumbled, taking a seat in the booth at Daisy's Delicacies. The familiar cafe provided me with the comfort I needed. Practice sucked ass. Coach Benson was failing to adjust to his new role, and it was affecting the entire team. Even as captain, there was nothing I could do until Coach got his fucking shit together.

Coach Floyd had all of his plans in his head. He memorised them and left no physical copies for Coach Benson to follow from. And now the latter was stuck. He had to get to know the team and our skills from scratch. I didn't even want to think about how long that would take.

Sebastian let out a moan of pain as he sank into his seat, and I smirked. He'd gotten bulldozed at practice by Tristan, the left-winger in our fourth line. The latter had flattened Sebastian against the plexiglass during our friendly. We played against each other whilst Coach spent the entire session locked in his office. He only emerged at the end of practice to announce something, something that made my blood boil.

"A hot sociopath," Grayson mused, shoving Sebastian over so that he could take a seat as well. The blonde groaned when Grayson hit his bruised shoulder.

Leaning back in my seat, I crossed my arms, scanning the cafe and spotting a tiny girl in the centre, a broomstick in hand as she hit a book around. The sight made my lips tilt slightly. It reminded me of simpler times when my dad would take me with him to work and I'd spend the entire time hitting a puck around his workplace.

Granted, I'd gotten in trouble a lot because my dad had been a regular police officer back then, working in a cubicle. He didn't have any control over the station so the Lieutenant went off on me on quite a few occasions, specifically when a teenager getting arrested for petty theft had received a puck to the eye when he was brought in for questioning. My dad found it funny. Lieutenant Windsor didn't.

"A sociopath, nonetheless," I retorted, falling back into the conversation.

"So you agree she's hot," Sebastian expressed through another groan. He knew exactly what I thought of her. My entire team did.

When I refused to speak, Grayson smirked and spoke again. "Honestly, I think Coach has a point. She could help us." Fucking hell. We'd been over it before. The entire team had been over it and Grayson still didn't see the problem with having Nyx help our team. I refrained from asking him if he remembered what had happened last year, how we all had suffered.