Bonus Chapter : Before Her

This chapter is dedicated to @hamiltonian_mechanic for always being supportive and bearing me all the time. He proofreads most of my chapters these days, you guys (insider info: I blackmail him😂. But no, seriously, he's gr8). Thanks for being the best brother ever, Jay. I don't say this enough, but I love you!

Ashton's POV:-

"C'mon!" I shouted. "What the hell was that?!"

"I'm sorry, Alpha," Mark gritted out. "We're all doing our best!"

"If that is your best, I pity you," I spat. "Keep this up and those Crescent Moons will crush us in an instant."

"Ashton," Bree cautioned.

"You stay the fuck out of this," Xavier snapped at her. She stepped back, her wolf coming forth. She bent her head in respect and we puffed my chest. We faced the trainees again.

"Again! And the time better be less than before or you guys will not have any dinner tonight." I commanded, taking control back from Xavier. They smartly didn't protest, taking off again.

"Bro, you're being too hard on them," Noel frowned, watching the kids go.

"You're my friend, but you're my Gamma first," I sneered. "Don't forget that."

"I'm saying it as your Gamma, Ashton," his frown deepened. "You need to go easier on them."

"I don't remember asking you how to train them." I shot at him and he sighed in resignation.

"Evergreen fucked him up," Hayden muttered under his breath.

"What did you say?" I demanded though I heard him well enough.

"Nothing," he pursed his lips. I did not miss the disapproval in his eyes.

"This is my pack. I'm responsible for it. We're surrounded by enemies waiting for an opportunity to strike."  I narrowed my eyes at them all. "I am not relenting."

"You're killing them," Noel protested.

"They are Werewolves. The blood in their veins makes sure they won't die from running an extra few miles," I scoffed. "In fact, they should run a few extra miles."

"Ashton, you need to let them breathe. You're a fucking tyrant with them!" Bree said.

"Okay, listen here," I glared at her and then at my second and third in commands. "Stop being such wusses. Evergreen has way harder training programs. I went there this summer, remember? I saw them. We are doing nothing in comparison to them. And guess what? The Crescent Moon princess has been there for a few years now. Training. And she's quite popular too."

"Evergreen is the strongest pack, Ash," Hayden shrugged. "They've been so for the last century or so. And as for Cecelia, her mother hails from Evergreen. She also happens to be the only female alpha to exist in the last two centuries. Her going there and being popular isn't that big of a deal."

"And how is Evergreen the strongest, Hayden?" I asked sarcastically, ignoring the comment about the Crescent Moon. She was insignificant. And as for Evergreen, that pack was secretive as hell. Even the summer program for warriors was designed in a way such that the internal matters of the pack never reached any unwanted ears. I hadn't had even so much as a glimpse of the Alpha and his family over my entire stay. "Because I'm pretty sure that it wasn't handed down to them on a gold platter."

"They developed themselves over years, gradually," Hayden argued. "Not overnight, like you seem to expect."

"I do not expect that," I scowled.