18| Rubble

-:Ashton's POV:-

I woke up to a loud throaty laugh.

"Keep it low," someone hissed.

"Are you worried we'll wake him up?" Another voice teased.

A little too late for that.

"Are you kidding me right now?" She questioned. "I told you he came in late."

"And you let him think you were sleeping," he further teased. 

"Technically, I was," she defended.

"Sure, Lia. Whatever you say," he sang patronizingly.

"Get the fuck out of here," she groaned.

"Aww, Lia, are you mad?" Julian chaffed, laughter in his voice.

"Come here and I'll show you," she snapped.

That would be my cue to wake up. I stretched and winced as I felt the toll my back took as a result of sleeping on the couch. Dang, that hurt. 

Their conversation ceased.

"Good morning," Cecelia finally said.

"'Morning," I yawned. I looked at her. She had had a bath in the morning, apparently. Her hair was freshly braided, her clothes changed. She had a drip attached to her arm. I frowned at that.

"To neutralize the wolfbane," she answered my unspoken question with a smile. I nodded and relaxed.

"Good morning, Ashton," Julian smiled, a strange twinkle in his eye.

"Morning, Julian," I smiled. I was surprised it wasn't forced. 

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Cecelia looking between us with narrowed eyes.

"How're you feeling?" I asked her before she could ask us something I didn't want her to know.

"I'm tired of that question," she scowled. "I am fine. I am okay. I am no longer in a state of unconsciousness!"

"Noted," I gulped. That was a total of one-eighty from like two minutes ago. Why did she scare me, even if a little? Oh, that's right, I wanted her to like me and I was constantly afraid of pissing her off and making her hate me even more than she already did. 

Honestly, I envied all those mates who had it easy.

'Ashton? Are you awake yet?' I got a mind link from Noel.

'Yeah,' I replied quickly. 'Just woke up. Why?'

'You might want to come home,' he said.

'Why?' I repeated.

'Umm . . . Alpha is not pleased.'

'Hun?' I got up and picked up the jacket that I'd thrown across the hand rest of the couch. I put it on.

'You didn't come back last night. You missed your patrolling shifts. He is not happy.'

'I have a valid reason!' I exclaimed, lacing up my shoes.

'Reasons he doesn't know about because you didn't tell him. Be home soon and explain.'

'On my way.' I closed the link. When I looked up, both Cecelia and Julian were looking at me.

"Where are you going?" Julian asked.

"I need to go home and explain a few things," I sighed. "I'll be back as soon as I can," I added looking at Cecelia.