Ch. 53 - Betrayed by a Friend

***** Keaton's Point of View *****

Henry raised his head and hesitated before finally saying, "Cami." 

"Cami?" Keaton asked, scrunching up his face. It felt like he had just been punched in the gut. 

Henry nodded. "Yeah mate. When she was getting ready for the party she called me up and said you were coming and bringing your fiance. She said she was a normie that was only marrying you for your money and all she needed was a chance to prove it to you. She said she'd make sure to tell Everly how wealthy and closely related to the royal family I was before the party and then she wanted me to try to sleep with her. She's the one who planned the entire thing. Cami set up the trap and I was the bait." 

His head was spinning as he tried to process all of this. "I don't know," Keaton said, shaking his head. "Your story's a little hard to believe Henry."

"It's the truth mate! Cami convinced me that I'd be doing you a favor by trying to sleep with Everly so you'd see what kind of person she really is and not make the biggest mistake of your life by marrying her. She said it was for your own good so you wouldn't end up marrying a gold digger that didn't really love you. Like I said, I wasn't going to actually go through with it mate. I was just trying to see if she would agree to it."

Keaton sat there shaking his head. "No. There's no way Cami would do that to me."

"Fine. If you don't believe it, let me prove it to you," Henry said, getting out his cell phone and putting it on speaker phone.

It rang twice before Cami answered. "Hey."

"Hey sexy beast. What are you up to?" he asked, leaning back in his seat.

"Ugh, Henry. I'm so not in the mood for your jokes today alright. I'm not having a good day," she grumbled.

"Why not?" he asked.

"What do you mean why not?" she scoffed. "As if you don't know, you fucking incompetent tosser. You can't seduce a woman for shit. I should've known you weren't up for the task Henry." 

He laughed. "Well I'm sorry I failed to seduce my best friend's fiance for you Cami. It's a real shame that," he said sarcastically.

"Yes it is. I guess I greatly overestimated your abilities with women."

"Hey, I will have you know that besides you, this is the first time a woman has ever turned down an invite into my bed. My abilities with women are the stuff of legend." 

"I'm sure Henry. So why did you call me? I'm cheesed off and prattling on all day with you is the last thing I want to do."

"I just wanted to check and see how you were doing. I know you don't handle failure well. You never do." 

"I'm fine. Piss off," she grumbled, hanging up on him. 

Henry clicked his phone off and threw it down on the couch.

"See. I told you," Henry said.

Keaton ran his hands through his hair and clasped his fingers together on top of his head as he leaned forward.

"Wow. I don't even know what to say. I'm just stunned. I never in a million years thought Cami would do something like this to me," he said letting out an exhale and shaking his head in disbelief. He raised his head and looked across at him. "And I can't believe you actually went along with it. You two are supposed to be my best friends but with friends like you, who needs enemies?"

"I'm sorry mate. I really am. I feel like an arse for what I did, but at the end of the day, you're the only real, true friend I have and I thought I was doing you a favor so you'd know if you were marrying the wrong woman." Henry took a deep breath in and let it out. "I guess we got our answer."