thirty-two

Julie and Flynn found open seats in the open hall at the bottom of the bleachers, making sure to sit at the very end and save two spots next to them

Julie and Flynn found open seats in the open hall at the bottom of the bleachers, making sure to sit at the very end and save two spots next to them. Beyond the Voice was a long competition day, and they were not about to sit through the entire show for Holland's performance at the very end. 

There was a poof next to her as Julie looked over, tuning out the sound of the boy currently performing that Flynn was listening to as she spoke to the boys, looking around at the crowd of people gathered inside for the statewide competition.

"She perform yet?" Reggie asked, bouncing his leg as he looked at Julie, nerves catching up with him as Alex placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Not yet, I think she might be next. They normally save past winners for the end of the show," Julie told them, looking around the audience for the two people she was told to keep an eye out for.

"Relax Reggie," Luke told his friend, looking back to the stage with a grin on his lips. "She's going to rock this!"

Flynn tapped on Julie's shoulder, pointing out the two people they were waiting for in the crowd. Julie stood up, waving them over as they ran up to the pair to take their seats.

"Julie, Flynn!" Holland's mom exclaimed as her dad sat down, Reggie holding a soft smile as he looked at his mom. "It's so nice to see you girls!"

"Has she gone on yet?" her father questioned just as the crowd erupted into applause for the boy as the announcer made their way onto the stage.

"I think she is now," Flynn muttered, bouncing her own knee in excitement. Holland's mother was, too, after her daughter claimed that she wouldn't compete in the competition again after winning so many years ago. Little did she know, it was all thanks to the ghost standing just a few feet away from her with a proud smile on his face.

"How about we give another round of applause for Daniel Taylor!" the crowd gave another round of applause for the kid before the announcer calmed them all down. "Alright, deliberations on this years Beyond the Voice winner will begin soon, after one final performance for the night. Our last performer won the competition years ago, and has finally decided to grace the stage once more. Give it up, for Holland Richmond!"

There was a loud cheer from the crowd, Julie and Flynn's cheers being the loudest, as the lights on the stage came to life, Holland stepping forward to the microphone with a smile as the accompanying band took their places.

Her mother's breath caught in her throat, her dad taking her hand in his as she looked at Holland. She stood tall on that stage, more confident she had ever seen her before. But it wasn't the confidence that struck her, it was her clothing. The ripped black jeans with the matching black heels, paired with the flannel tied around her waist and her t-shirt, with the leather jacket gifted by Reggie to her around her shoulders.

"She looks so much like Reggie," her mother whispered, leaning into her husband's side. Julie and Flynn smiled as Julie looked to the boys. Luke stepped between Alex and Reggie, throwing an arm around each of them as Reggie looked proudly at his sister on that stage.