sixteen

The last thing that Holland wanted to do was spend her Sunday alone

The last thing that Holland wanted to do was spend her Sunday alone. Being alone meant thinking, and thinking ultimately meant more crying. With her parents gone for a few hours and her phone off to ignore the constant stream of messages that Mason was sending her, Holland was left alone in the kitchen where she tried her hardest to focus on the food before her.

"I thought me crying for 25 years was bad," Alex's voice flowed through the room as Holland looked up, smiling lightly as she saw the three boys standing in front of her. "You look like a wreck."

"That's right, forgot I promised to explain things to you guys," she spoke softly, rolling out the dough in front of her on the counter as Reggie hopped up, sitting next to her. 

"Explanation would be nice," he told her with a grin. "You were kind of having a mental breakdown in the middle of the gym."

Holland shot him a look, but smiled none the less. She knew he wasn't wrong, but she didn't need to be reminded of it. She looked up at Alex and Luke, sighing as she paused the dough before her and realized they were waiting for an explanation.

"If I start crying, this is your fault for making me talk about it," she gave the boys a pointed look, but they didn't budge. "Mason...he decided that the last two years meant nothing and he...cheated on me."

"Oh I swear to god that little-"

"Are you kidding me? How dare he-"

"If I get my ghost hands on him-"

"Okay! Okay, one at a time," Holland interjected, laughing lightly at their antics as they all spoke at once. She took a deep breath, trying to keep her tears at bay as Reggie turned on the counter to look at his sister.

"Holls, he is a good for nothing child," Reggie told her, surprising her by actually being serious for a second. "And take it from me, I'm as childlike as it gets."

"Okay Reggie," Alex spoke, shaking his head as he walked over, placing a hand on Reggie's shoulder and looking down at Holland. "The most important thing right now, is how are you doing?"

Holland bit her lip, looking back down at the cookie dough on the counter as she went back to focusing on it.

"I don't know, to be honest. I'm...here? One second I feel like I'm going to break down crying, then the next I feel like I could hit a wall. I'm just...here,"

"We've made it up to Julie, now its our turn to make it up to you," Holland tried to argue back with Luke but he hushed her. "We should've been there that night. We should've been there for Julie, and we should've been there for you too. So put a smile on that pretty face and let's bake."

A laugh left the girl's lips as Alex, focusing hard on her phone, was able to pick it up and play Now or Never from the stereo in the living room. How he was able to find that downloaded song on her phone she didn't know, but she didn't argue when Luke hopped up on the kitchen island and grabbed a rolling pin from the counter as a microphone.