𝒕𝒘𝒐

-~-

-~-

It was the next morning that Adeline found herself sitting in an armchair watching as Enola was scrutinised by Miss Harrison of Miss Harrison's Finishing School.

Adeline herself had been sent to Miss Harrison's school when she turned 16, and had no fond memories of the place. She was only sent there because her parents were fed up with her moping about the house after Sherlock's departure. They thought it was a better spend of her time than being sad all day.

"Stand tall, girl." Was the fist thing Miss Harrison had said when she entered the room.

"That's better." Miss Harrison turned around to see Adeline sitting there.

"Miss Courtenay... It's been a while" Miss Harrison said.

"Yes, Miss Harrison, it has indeed." Adeline replied while smiling trying to be as polite as possible to the retched woman she once called a teacher.

"I presume you're still unmarried?" Miss Harrison. said with a passive aggressive tone.

"Unfortunately so Miss Harrison. I'm sure we don't want to keep Enola waiting, should we continue with this appointment?"  Adeline dropped her smile and said back.

Miss Harrison gestured for the seamstress to start her work, and the seamstress begins measuring.

"Waist, 24 inches." Miss Harrison chuckled, Enola looked offended.

"Chest, 33 inches."

"Well, that's to small." Miss Harrison inputted as she circled Enola.

"They are perfectly fine." Enola replied, Adeline decided she could leave this to Enola, knowing the young girl had a strong mind.

"Hips, 35 inches."

"Oh, how disappointing. We will have to use an amplifier." Miss Harrison stated.

Adeline made a face at Enola and mocked her under her breath. Enola giggled a little but was quick on her feet with a reply.

"Hips are simply a function of legs, aren't they? What need have they of amplification?"

"Aren't you a the clever little tongue? I'm going to enjoy that." Miss Harrison tutted and walked off. Enola not ready to give up replied with.

"I won't enjoy being imprisoned in those preposterous clothes."

"These clothes will not imprison. They will free. They will allow you to fit into society, to take part in its numerous pleasures. To catch an eye, to attract." Miss Harrison made some ridducalous hand movements.

"Wouldn't you agree Miss Courtenay?" Miss Harrison turned to the person in question.

"I found the clothing to be acceptable for the school." Which was true, Adeline had no quarrels with the clothing, they did the job. What she had a problem with was the person making her wear them. Miss Harrison smiled at Adeline and turned to give Enola a pointed look. Enola didn't look impressed.

"At my school, you will learn how to be a young lady, and you'll make many new friends." This however didn't entice Enola in the slightest.

"I don't need friends. I have my own company... and Adeline's." Enola turned to Adeline, and Adeline winked back at her with a cheeky smile. Although the same couldn't be said for Miss Harrison who's smile had turned a shade annoyed. Enola didn't stop there.

"And I don't need to go to your ridiculous school."

"Enola-" Adeline was unable to finish her sentence on the rudeness Enola had just shown, as Miss Harrison had taken it into her own hands and slapped Enola on the cheek. Adeline gasped and stood up.

"Miss Harrison, I ask you to refrain yourself from hitting Enola." Adeline said as Enola rushed out of the room. Adeline sighed as she'd realised Enola had run out in her undergarments.

Adeline collected a robe on her way out of the room. She could hear Enola speaking to her brothers as she reached the sitting room where the brother's were reading.

"You are a young woman know, Enola. You need an education." Mycroft said to Enola not looking up.

"Test me on anything you think I need to know in order to be sufficient for this world." Enola tried to argue.

"If she taught you so well, you wouldn't be standing in your undergarments in front of me." Adeline sighed and continued her journey into the room by walking over to Enola and placing the robe over her shoulders. Sherlock nodded at her in thanks.

"You have no hope of making a husband in your current state." Mycroft continued.

"I don't want a husband." Enola stated.

"And that is another thing you need to have educated out of you."  Mycroft finished.

"Adeline doesn't have a husband!" Enola argued.

"Enola!" Adeline said looking slightly annoyed to have been brought up in this argument, and also slightly saddened at the thought. Adeline didn't make eye contact with Sherlock and stared at the back of Enola's head

"Another thing you need to be educated on, your rudeness when it comes to having a conversation with anyone." Mycroft pointed out.

Enola knew she couldn't sway her older brother, so she moved onto the one who in this moment she liked far more.

"Sherlock." Enola whispered, crouching down in front of him.

"Don't let him do this to me."

"You are his ward." Sherlock replied.

"Make me yours." Enola pleased. Adeline agreed with Enola's thinking and walked closer to the two.

"Guide me. Teach me. For him I am a nuisance. For you-"

"Enola." Sherlock interrupted.

"I'm sorry. It's out of my hands." Adeline gave Sherlock a sharp look but he avoided all eye contact with her.

"Just like his cruelty to our mother was out of your hands." She stated looking at him.

"She is not dangerous. She is remarkable and always has been. And if you still can't see that, then shame on you both." Enola said emotionally.

"So remarkable that she left you in my care" Mycroft responded as Enola started to walk away. Footsteps started to approach and Miss Harrison walked into the room and towards Enola. Sherlock and Mycroft quickly stood up. Sherlock was now only centimetres away from Adeline.

"Well, we have had a lovely little chat, haven't we? I can tell we we're going to be firm friends." Miss Harrison said turning towards Mycroft.

"Oh Miss Harrison, I am so grateful for your kindness." Mycroft replied.

"Mr. Holmes... it's an honour." Miss Harrison replied. Adeline cringed and turned her eyes to Sherlock to see if he had caught the small flirt. Sherlock was already looking at each other and she had to stifle a smile, Sherlock's lips quirked up but quickly went back to the frown he normally wears.

"I shall bring her tomorrow myself."

"Yourself? Good." Miss Harrison responded. Ew, was all Adeline could think.

-~-