𝒐𝒏𝒆

-~-

-~-

Now, when Adeline first received a telegram in the mail from one Enola Holmes, she didn't think anything of it, for Enola and Adeline were often in correspondence. Adeline assumed it was another letter requesting another visit, or to enquire about Adeline's life.  So, when she opened the letter and the first line read,

Mother is gone, you must come home at once.

Adeline instantly became alarmed, packed her things, and headed for the closest train station to bring her to where she grew up. Of course while she was packing, she was only thinking of Enola, and how she'd be of help to the young girl. Adeline didn't once stop to think of the possibility of running into Enola's charming brother Sherlock, and the consequences of it.

So there Adeline was, sitting in a carriage on her was to Ferndell Hall, only then she remembered that she was not in fact Enola's sole companion, and that most definitely she would come across Mycroft at the residence, and was hoping and praying that Sherlock was busy.

Of course that was a silly idea, as who was Sherlock Holmes to turn down a mystery?

The carriage finally came to a halt outside of Ferndell Hall, and Adeline stepped out smiling slightly at how run down Ferndell Hall had become, knowing Eudoria and Enola both loved it.

The coachman set Adeline's luggage at her feet, she quickly thanked the man before heading towards the front door. Adeline rung the doorbell and waited.

The door was opened not a minute later by the housekeeper Mrs. Lane.

"Oh darling, how good it is to see you again." Mrs. Lane spoke when she saw who it was. Her smiling face calmed Adeline down, but only for a few seconds as another voice was heard in the background.

"Mrs. Lane, who is it?"

Adeline could recognise that voice anywhere, even after 10 years of not hearing it. What damage that voice must of done for it still to affect her now, Adeline thought to herself.

Sherlock's form came into view as he walked closer to the door. He stopped upon seeing who had just arrived. He looked as if he couldn't quite believe who he was seeing.

"Adeline..." He whispered.

"Sherlock." Adeline nodded back, not sure what to do with herself. Sherlock seemed to snap out of it and cleared his throat.

"What are you doing here, Adeline?" The brown haired man asked.

"I received a letter from Enola requesting I come home... Is it true your mother is missing?" Adeline spoke. She needed the conformation, as she couldn't believe that the loving mother that Eudoria was would ever leave Enola.

"It is. Although I am not sure as to why Enola felt the need to include you in a family affair." Sherlock said. Adeline scoffed in an un lady-like fashioned.