chapter seven

-the next day-

the next day was like any other. i woke up, threw some clothes on and headed out the door.
(your outfit)

"hey you forgot breakfast,"my cousin lily yelled as i went out the door

"hey you forgot breakfast,"my cousin lily yelled as i went out the door. she works a minimum wage job and has many bills to pay, but never lets me go hungry.

"no thanks i'll grab something later," i said.

"are you sure? i won't be home till late so you'll have to make yourself something," she explained.

"yes i'm sure thank you," i was grateful for everything she's done for me. my dad passed away when i was very young, and a couple years ago my mom ran away leaving only a note. i've always lived in the outer banks, but even though my mom had no job and her only source of income was my dads retirement, we lived in a much better house. i actually have my own bedroom and my mattress wasn't on the ground. i could eat anytime i wanted, and it didn't have to be something like crackers and peanut butter. but i never complain, i understand life is hard for lily, and she took me in when no one else would. the rest of my family didn't care much for my mom, and no random person would want to take in a 14, now 16 year old.

i rushed out the door and hopped on my bike. i rode down to john bs house, which is where we planned to meet so we could ride the van to the boat dock. when i got down there everyone but jj was waiting.

"hey guys sorry i'm late," i said leaning my bike against a tree nearby, "wait where's jj?"

"no one knows, i tried calling but he hasn't picked up," ki explained.

"maybe i should go check on him, or just ask if he's still coming," pope said.

"maybe he's sick," john b explained. wherever he was, he was sure taking his time. sometimes jj is late but never this late. he doesn't have the best time management skills but he never misses a chance to go out on the boat. we waited about ten more minutes until he came around the corner.

"jj!" we all exclaimed, but our faces turned blank. he had a bruise covering nearly half his face, and dried blood on his nose and lip.

"don't say anything," he looked down, embarrassed.
we all looked at each other not knowing what to say.

finally john b broke the silence, "hey we better get goin before the marsh is too crowded." we hopped in the van and drown down to the dock. we all got out and gathered our things and headed that way.

"hey you guys go on, me and jj are gonna hey something. we'll catch up ina bit," i said. jj looked at me but quickly turned his head. i made sure the others couldn't hear us before i said anything. "jj i know you probably don't wanna talk about it but if you do just kno-" and before i could say anything else he threw his arms around me and laid his head on my shoulder.

"it happened again y/n. it happened. i don't know what to do with him. i can't take it. i just can't," he cried.

i rubbed his back, "you know you can come stay with lily and me anytime you want."

"i couldn't do that to you guys. i know how hard she works and how little she makes. i appreciate it i really do but i couldn't," he explained.

"i know jj, but you can't stay with him. it's hurting you more ways then one," i said rubbing my fingers through his hair, "and it hurts me seeing you like this."

he leaned up and looked at me, "i'm sorry you have to see me like this."

"jj don't ever say that. it's okay, i want to be here for you."

"i don't mean to scare you"

"what do you mean scare me? it doesn't bother-"

"y/n don't say that! i know it bothers you. i saw how you looked at me when i founded the corner. i see how you look at me anytime he hits me. it's like you saw a ghost! you look sick right now!" he shouted.

tears filled my eyes but i tried to hold them back, "it is scary jj. but i'm not scared of you. i just can't believe he hurts you like that. it makes me sick thinking anyone would ever want to hurt you."

his eyes hardened, "then maybe you shouldn't look at me. maybe i shouldn't be around you."

"wha..what?" i stuttered.

he looked into my eyes, "maybe i shouldn't be around you. drag you into this. maybe we shouldn't.. hangout as much."

was he actually saying this? he didn't want to hang out with his friends anymore? who was he gonna be around, his dad? no, no way. or did he just not wanna be around me? "jj, what are you saying?"

"i'm saying we shouldn't be this close. we shouldn't hang out one on one and have these types of talks. i'll start giving you some space." he turned and walked away.

my heart broke right in two. my best friend told me he didn't want to hangout anymore. i burst into tears and tightly squeezed my mouth with my hand, trying not to make any noise. my back hit the van and i slid to the ground. i knew the rest were waiting for me but i couldn't take it. i got up and ran back to john bs house. i know this sounds crazy, but anytime i'm upset i run. i run to clear my mind. i run to keep from having a breakdown. i run from my problems. and now i'm running from jj.

the one person i'd never wanna run from.