32. The Final Four

32. The Final Four

I almost fell down the mountain a few times due to grabbing loose rocks. Thinking quickly, I thrust the rocks down the mountain in hope that they'd strike Bane and Jenna. I could hear them crash against the base of the mountain. I was disappointed when I heard no screams.

I could feel sweat coat my forehead. I gritted my teeth; my arms were aching, my legs barely hanging in there. I was breathing heavy; Shane was slow in his progress now as well. I wasn't sure how far we climbed, but it felt like we were climbing for eternity. We couldn't exactly pace ourselves when we had two enemies hunting us down.

Shane eventually crossed above me. He bobbed his head towards a small cliff. I nodded, pushing myself up farther. He held out a hand for me, waiting. I rested my head against the rock wall, feeling exhausted. You're a sitting duck. Don't you dare give up! You're so close, I yelled at myself.

Pushing myself just a little bit more, I just managed to snatch Shane's hand. Digging into his strength, he slowly heaved me up. I tried to help him as best as I could. I was almost there—

Something grabbed my ankle. I screamed, looking down. Bane. My mouth fell open, but I closed it immediately—remembering I had a knife in my mouth—and I felt reenergized, kicking at him with my free leg. He swung at my foot with his sword, sinking into flesh and almost nearly hitting bone.

This boy was definitely not in love with me, he was here to kill me.

I cried out, tears leaking from my eyes. I heard Jenna cackle. She wasn't far off from me. I fretted, kicking desperately. Bane swung again at my captive leg. I bit on the knife, the cold metal chilling my teeth. The pain was that extreme. Despite the pain, I swung my leg, swinging Bane into the rock wall.

I saw myself inch lower with Bane. I could see the muscles in Shane's arms strain as he tried to pull me up. I swung my injured leg over again, this time crushing Bane's shoulder into the rock. He let go, sliding down to where Jenna was.

Squeaking a sob, my body shook. Shane helped me over the edge of the cliff. He rested me as far away from the edge as possible. There were two gashes in my pant leg, both sprayed with blood. I looked away, whimpering. I took the knife out of my mouth, thankful to be able to close it again.

"God..." Shane whispered in horror. He knelt beside me. "You can't climb with that."

"We're trapped," I croaked. With an almost numb arm, I fumbled for my blowgun and five remaining darts. "How many arrows do you have left?"

"Three." He loaded an arrow. "Get ready."

Shane crouched beside me as we waited for Bane and Jenna to appear. If we were lucky, the cliff would break, taking them down with it. That wouldn't guarantee they'd die, though. They were both pretty tough, and I bet tumbling down a mountain wouldn't do enough damage to give Shane and me an advantage over them.

The moment we saw a sword, I blew a dart. It ricocheted off the sword, flying down the mountain. I reloaded. Shane tried an arrow, but the sword deflected it. Bane crawled across the edge. I was too paralyzed to do anything.

Bane had burns on his face—no doubt from the fireballs thrown at us not too long ago—his lower lip trickling blood. He smirked when looking at us both. Jenna joined him.

I slid up the rock wall, with a loaded blowgun and my knife. Shane was only armed with his bow and two arrows now. We were easily outgunned. I swallowed. We need some good luck here, big time, I prayed. My necklace had been good to me so far, it couldn't let me down now—not when I needed luck the most.