The Tricky Anomaly

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. 

"Nick, Nick," he heard his name being called out softly. He recognized the voice, and he let it pull him out of his dreamless sleep. Or, maybe, it hadn't been dreamless, but he just couldn't remember what the dream had been about. There was a strange sensation on his lips, the feeling that occurred when a dream was overly realistic and one could feel after effects. That placed ideas into his head about what the dream had been about if he had been dreaming. A slight bit of heat touched his cheeks at the thought, and he scolded himself internally for it too.

"Nick," she spoke his name again, and he felt her shaking his left shoulder a bit. A slight groan exited his lips, and he blinked open his eyes. Braided black hair draped over her left shoulder, and her brown eyes had a warm glow to them. She smiled upon noting that he was awake. "Looks like you took that nap down here after all."

"... Deidre ..." His response was delayed because of his waking mind, and he couldn't resist yawning in the process. She stood up fully and waited for him, a smile still on her lips. "How long have I been asleep?" He leaned forward and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes with his right index finger and thumb.

"About fifteen minutes." She chuckled softly. "Not too long, but it seems like the rest helped you."

He nodded and stretched his arms before he stood to his feet and buttoned his grey coat. "Did you happen to grab the money?" She nodded and pulled out her red wallet. "Great, thanks." Nick faced towards the door and headed outside with her, holding the door open to let her out first.

"Thank you," she responded, stepping out and placing her wallet and hands into her blue jacket pockets. "So," she peered over her left shoulder towards Nick, "any dreams?" He paused as the door closed behind him. She smiled a bit. "Do you remember?"

"No, but it doesn't matter. It clearly wasn't important." His tone wasn't rude, but it was monotone, uncharacteristically so. A small smirk touched her lips, and she didn't say another word since she didn't have to. "But, we've already been over this before. You know where I stand on the matter."

"I do, and I understand. I'm also appreciative. I don't want to face off against the creature, and you don't need to go through that another time, but," her smirk remained, "it's still cute." A sigh parted from him, and he slouched forward a bit as they headed to the restaurant where they bought their breakfast the other day. It was simple, affordable, filling and tasted good. There was no reason to head somewhere fancier and probably pricier.

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" He glanced towards her, and his brown eyes held irritation, but the emotion was coming from a friendly standpoint, not anything harsh. She grinned and shrugged. "Just don't keep bringing it up like Chris. I get enough teasing from her, and you actually understand where I'm coming from."

Laughing, Deidre met his gaze. "Chris knows why you're choosing not to pursue her, but she wants you to be happy too." She stared forward again. "You did seem to be in lighter spirits when she was around. It was obvious you enjoyed her company. Chris just wants you to feel like that again." Deidre smiled gently. "She probably considers you to be like an older brother to her, and she wants to make sure that you're taken care of."