Chapter 18

It turned out that Luke and Allison had a lot more in common than the charity, but they had little time to bask in their new found friendship. By the time they showed up at the competition, several girls had already performed, and one was on stage. They tried not to make a scene as they rushed along the edges ot the auditorium to get backstage, but Allison had a feeling that they hadn't been entirely successful.

"I hope we didn't distract anyone." Luke said, seeming concerned as Allison tore open her bag.

Allison ignored him. "You have to be gay to wear a hat like that right? Because I don't have time to kick you out."

By the time Allison was done with her sentence her shirt was off, and Luke really had no chance to protest ehr undressing in front of him. He adverted his eyes to the ground as he responded. 

"I'm not actually gay, and I've known you for less than half an hour, so I'm gonna say this is pretty awkward."

"Okay, shut up and see if I put this tutu on right. I'm not really a ballerina."

"Neither am I!" he protested

"Well does it look right?" she pressed, adjusting the skirt.

When Luke dared to glance up, Allison was wearing an old, worn out, dirty tutu over a pair of black yoga pants. Her hair hung lifelessly at her shoulders, and her smile seemed forced.

"Don't you have a coach for this kind of stuff?"

Since he had only been asked about the tutu, he was able to get away with an answer like that.

Allison groaned. "I was supposed to meet him a half hour ago here, but I go on in like two minutes and I have no idea where he's at."

Luke seemed not to have an answer.

"Good luck?" he finally said.

"Thanks." she said and ran onto the stage.

Luckily, she had no trouble finding the center line, and the crowd seemed interested in her the moment she appeared. 

Unluckily, she was not the only girl on stage. She had interrupted the routine of a girl with glasses and freckles. The only thing that would have made her feel worse was a bigger audience.

"Get back here." a familiar voice hissed.

As she retreated backstage, Allison recognized coach Dobbs. He didn't look particularly thrilled about her latest foray into the public eye.

"What was that? And where have you been for the last two hours? This isn't some kind of a joke, is it?"

Allison shook her head as she was dragged further backstage, through the dressing rooms and the training room and past a very confused looking boy in a newsboy cap. "I just couldn't get a ride and then I was confused, and--"

Coach Dobbs cut her off. "Well sit her and be confused then. Just don't move."

The woman who always traveled with coach Dobbs was at Allison's side in minutes, pulling at the costume and adjusting her clothes.

"My goodness Allison." Mrs. Shroder shook her head. "I know you don't feel like a dancer, but would it kill you to look like one?"

Allison stood motionless and tried not to protest as the woman pulled at her hair and painted makeup onto her face. She wore makeup of her own on special occasions, but the amount they plastered on made her feel fake and honestly seemed excessive. By the time her hair was back in a professional bun, her head ached, and her entire face felt tight.

"Take off the yoga pants and put on some tights. You won't look like a dancer out there if you go like that."

"But I'll have to take off the whole outfit and--"

"Just do it Allison. You've disappointed us enough already today.

Allison grudgingly obeyed and switched the yoga pants for a pair of pale pink tights that matched the remainder of her outfit. She made a very traditional, albeit slightly cliche, ballerina.

"Is she ready?" Coach Dobbs reappeared. "She's on deck."

"You'll have to help her lace the shoes, but other than that, she's good."

Dobbs grabbed Allison's arm and dragged her back to just behind the curtain. She was still carrying the shoes Mrs. Shroder had forced on her half an hour ago, and Dobbs now took them and helped her put them on.

"Just get out there and dance, okay? Try not to think about the other kids, or the fact that you're not on pointe yet. Just go out there and show off everything you've learned. " He tied the last bow and stood, smiling down at her. "This is supposed to be the fun part."

The second she was on stage, Allison was sure that wouldn't be the case.