Chapter 22 - Keep It PG

"Hi, sweetheart, did you have a good day at school?" My mom asks when she gets home from work.

"Yeah, it was fine," I lie. Trying to act like i'm not bothered by the fact Mason cheated on me was a lot of hard work.

"Well, go change into something nice. Evelyn has invited us and Charlie over for a congratulations dinner. Isn't that sweet?"

Oh God.

"Yeah." This is the worst timing for all of this to be happening. Right now I just want to be alone so I can eat chocolate and think about how much I hate life.

I go upstairs and into my closet, looking for an outfit. There's nothing I have that my mom would consider nice that I feel comfortable wearing, so I decide to wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt my mom got me for my birthday.

"Come in, come in!" Evelyn greets us at her front door. She's so cheerful. It's painful.

"Thank you so much for having us over," my mom says, hugging Evelyn.

"It's fine, I'm just so happy for you," she hugs Charlie then looks at me with a big smile. "Marnie, how are you?"

"I'm good," I smile. She also gives me a hug. Damn this woman loves hugs.

"Dinner is almost ready, please come take a seat."

We walk into her dining room. It looks like a posh room with a large dark wooden table in the centre. Maggie is sitting in one of the seats on her phone, and I sit next to her. My mom and Charlie sit across from us.

"Hi, I'm Maggie," Maggie smiles at my mom and Charlie.

"Hi Maggie. My name's Joe. Evelyn's told me all about you, you really are a beautiful young lady."

"Thank you," Maggie laughs.

Evelyn walks out of the room and shouts Zeke's name, telling him to come downstairs.

Maggie leans into me and whispers, "Hey, Zeke told me about Mason. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I flash her a fake smile which she frowns at.

"Move," Zeke says from behind us.

"No," Maggie says, "Sit somewhere else.

"Move," Zeke repeats again, more stern this time.

"No."

"Maggie-"

"Stop arguing," Evelyn cuts in.

"We are not," Zeke says to his mother before looking back at Maggie, "Fucking move," he whispers.

She groans and moves one seat along and Zeke sits down. Why did he need to sit there? Is it like the thing with his seat on the couch where he always needs to sit there?

"Congrats on your whole marriage thing," Zeke says to my mom and Charlie, even though he disagrees with marriage and thinks it's stupid.  

"Thank you, Zeke. It's nice to see you again," my mom says.

"You too," he smiles then looks at me. He's about to say something before his eyes avert to my legs and his body stiffens.

I nudge him, making him look away. "Why would you do that to me?" He says, sounding pissed off.

"Do what?"

"Wear those," he lowers his voice, "Are you trying to make me hard throughout a dinner with both of our families?"

My cheeks flush and I look away, checking to see if anyone heard. My mom, Evelyn and Charlie are all busy talking and Maggie's still on her phone.