Chapter 23*

"Sherlock, I-" I start, trying to tell him what he needs to know.

"Don't say anything. You do not need to explain," He tells with his eyes closed. He lays across the couch, coat off with hands folded together. Knowing very well he's not going to listen, I turn on my heel.

"Alright then. I'll just go to my room," I mumble, taking my leave.

"Do you?"  He asks with his eyes still closed. I don't turn to face him, my hand still lingering on my door knob. 

"Do I what?" I respond back, not knowing what he's referring to. I wish we would just speak in a full sentence instead of leaving me wondering what he's trying to ask. I'm not in the mood for any more guessing games.

"Do you care about me?" He asks. I peek my head around the corner. I don't respond for a moment as I try to think about my response. I do, I really fucking do.

"Do you care about me?" I counter back, not yet revealing my thoughts. I will not show any weakness towards him-- nothing sentimental in fear of being rejected. It's better to just keep my mouth shut.

"Yes," He whispers, his eyes still closed as he faces the ceiling. I freeze, my heart nearly jumping from my chest.

"Then yes I do," I reply before walking to my room, ready to call it a night. Sleep is calling my name as my head swarms with an abundance of thoughts.

***

A knock on the door wakes me up, curious as to why Sherlock would care to speak with me. I drag my hands across my face, trying to wake up a bit from my little nap. I don't respond nor do I make a move to open the door. Sherlock cracks the door a bit before taking a step in, immediately stopping when he sees me laying in bed.

"I didn't know if you were sleeping," Sherlock mumbles, stepping out of the room. He starts to close the door, but I stop him. 

"No, stay. What did you need?" I question, sitting up in my bed, ready to hear his thoughts.

"I made tea," is all he says.

"I don't want tea," I mumble while a teasing smile creeps onto my face.

"I didn't make tea for you. This is my tea."

"Then why are you telling me?" I ask, quirking an eyebrow at his comment.

"It's a conversation starter," He mutters making me giggle.

"It works," I state, not knowing what else to say.

"We are conversing."

"It appears so... What did you need?" I ask again, knowing there was more to what he wanted to say. He wouldn't just come in here to tell me he made tea for himself. He awkwardly stands by my door, his eyes not leaving mine.

"Well, I was coming in here to..."

"To what?" I ask, trying to push him to spit it out. "To watch me sleep?" I ask jokingly, a smirk playing on my face.

"Ermm, no-"

"Creep," I whisper, knowing fully well he was really coming in here to watch me. Normally I'd consider it a bit odd, but it's Sherlock. He's a very odd person. "Okay, I'll just close my eyes and pretend to sleep for you."

"How did you know?" He questions, sitting down on the soft chair in my room, taking a sip from his tea.

"I can tell... You're not the only brilliant-minded person in this room." I close my eyes, and it's all silent after that. I wait, not moving before I peek open an eye. I look to see Sherlock with his eyes closed, just basking in the silenct.

"Shut your eyes," Sherlock snaps without opening his eyes. I shake my head in dismissal.

"Sorry," I stutter before closing my eyes again. I sit in my bed, waiting for him to say something or do anything. I wait for him to be finished, not sure what he gains from watching me. I open my eyes, not being able to sit still anymore. I notice his frame not moving and I let out a little giggle. I quietly stand, making my way towards him.

"Sherlock?" I whisper. He doesn't respond. "Sherlock, are you... sleeping?" I wonder almost to myself.

I get down, on my knees in front of his body. I peer up under his head to find his eyes closed and lips parted. I feel his pulse on his wrist... It's steady. I take a brief step back before grabbing my throw blanket and pillow off the bed. I place the blanket on his sleeping form and the pillow under his head before I turn away. I slump back on my bed with no blanket and no pillow. I lay flat on the king mattress facing the ceiling. My arms rest at my sides with my legs straight. 

I don't know how long I lay here until I fall asleep again.

***

My eyes fly open as I hear the door to 221B slam. I jolt up, looking right at the empty chair.

"Sherlock," I growl, knowing he's up to no good. I stomp out of my room and straight into the kitchen. I look at the table, spotting a note. I pick it up before reading.

Going out. Don't follow me. I'll be back. Have a drink while you wait.
-SH

I let out an audible sigh. I glance at the cup. I pick it up, smelling what's in it. Poison. Not water.

Did he try to poison me? Not to mention, he thought I was dumb enough to get poisoned? I walk away from the kitchen table. I grab my coat from the chair. I put it on before grabbing my phone. Then there are two knocks on the door. Client?

I walk up to it, before slowly opening the door, ready to greet them. 

"Hello, are you-" I start but then I am smacked with the butt of a gun. I fall back, pain rushing through my head while my vision begins to blur. I feel the assailants grabbing me and hoisting me over their shoulders, dragging me back up to the flat. The sast thing I think of is Sherlock before I fall unconscious.