Chapter 21*

"Okay, I have his address. He doesn't live that far from the school," I state, not looking up from the computer. "We should go tomorrow, during the school day so we can sneak into his house."

"Yes, great idea," He says in agreement sounding awfully kinder than normal.

"Well, I might go to bed," I state, taking my leave to my room.

"I plan on playing my violin. I hope I don't keep you up," He says genuinely worried before his face changes and becomes emotionless. I nod to myself before getting up off the couch and starting off to my rented room, which was John's old room. I open my door before Sherlock starts talking again. "Rachelle, I-I am sorry for saying that earlier," He struggles to spit out. Is it really that hard to apologize? However, I take it with a grain of salt, impressed that Sherlock thought to apologize.

"I forgive you, Sherlock," I mumble, struggling as well to say that aloud. I spin on my heel, turning into my room again. I let out a shaky breath, surprised by what just happened. I get undressed and change into my pajamas before laying down in bed to clear my senses. I look up at the ceiling when suddenly I hear the violin being played. He plays a song that I've never heard before. It's a mix of high and low, sad and happy. The sound almost makes my heart jump at different parts. I close my eyes deciding to listen to the gentle sound being produced. I imagine his subtle features as he plays the music. The way he sways as he plays, or the way he closes his eyes. My mind is full of him and only him.

I quietly get out of bed and step towards my door, wanting to get a glimpse of Sherlock. Cracking the door open, I carefully tiptoe out hoping he doesn't notice me peeking. And I was right. His figure dances along to the song. His body spins as he hits each note just right. A slight smile appears on my face as I watch him play. God, he looks so peaceful and relaxed which is something I don't see often.

***

"Okay, the school day just started," I state grabbing my coat, ready to leave. I ignore Sherlock's protests as he covers his head with his comforter. He lays in his bed as I pick out his clothes for the day.

"You're not my mother," He says referring to me picking out his clothes. He sits forwards in his bed, ripping off his bed sheets. He sits up in bed, his pajama shirt clinging to his skin. I grab the outfit I picked out, and throw it at him.

"Yeah, but I might have to be. Get dressed. I'll meet you in the cab downstairs," I announce before I rush off down the stairs.

***

Ten minutes later Sherlock climbs into the cab not saying a word.

"Took you long enough," I scoff. Then a smug smile appears on my face causing him to glance at me with a confused look.

"What?" Sherlock asks, finally speaking.

"We're going to sneak into someone's home." I whisper, "I haven't done that in a while."

"Apparently not," He mumbles under his breath. I look over at him and a small smile appears on his face as well. Then I let out a laugh.

"I haven't been this excited in a while." I laugh before telling the cabbie the address of the home. I have to lie and tell him it's my aunt's house while also convincing him to park a block away. When he parks, Sherlock and I hop out of the cab. "Thank you," I say while throwing money the cabbie's way. He drives off and that's when Sherlock and I start walking.

We end up right across the street from Mitch's house. We watch as he leaves to get in the car with his mother. Soon they drive off. That's when Sherlock and I make our move.

"Let's go," Sherlock says. We take off running across the street. Ending up in the driveway, we debate about which way to go in.

"Check around the bush for a key," I tell him while pointing at the nearest bush. He starts digging in the bushes, looking for a key. He steps back in triumph as he holds a key in his hand. He tries the front door but it doesn't work.

"It doesn't work," He says aloud as if I didn't just watch him attempt to open the door and fail miserably.

"Clearly. Try the back door?" I suggest. We run around to the back of the house. We spot the sliding door to the basement. I look around, checking the coast. Adrenaline runs through my veins as I hear the door unlock. Sherlock turns around to face me, and his lips turn up into an excited smile. We walk inside the expensive-looking home. "They have the money."

"They do," Sherlock agrees, picking up their belongings to inspect them. I slap his hand and he gives me a dirty look.

"Don't touch anything. We just need to get to Mitch's room," I whisper.

"Why are you whispering?" He asks with a raised eyebrow. I shake my head dismissing him. We walk down the hallway before we turn into an open room. Quickly and quietly, I shut the door behind us. Sherlock stands in front of me pacing back and forth while I lean against the door. "We can't leave until we find evidence," I say, then I notice this is a teen's room. I look around and then spot some sports trophies.

1st Place

Mitchell Robinson

"Sherlock... This is Mitchell's room," I tell him in a whisper, ignoring the look he gives me for whispering. He looks around, then I point to the trophies.

"Brilliant," He cheers. I smile at his comment towards me before shushing him. He starts digging through Mitch's desk drawers. I do the same, trying to find any more useful information. I dig through his nightstand and his closet, looking for evidence of him being a murderer. Then I hear footsteps coming from the stairs right outside the bedroom door. I look at Sherlock only to find him grabbing me. He falls back into the closet with my body in his arms. He reaches up and shuts the closet door before his hand covers my mouth. "Shhh," He whispers in my ear trying to keep me quiet. My breath hitches in my throat as the door to the room opens.