Chapter 8 "Explaining"

It was clear that they had to fill Grey in about the situation.

There was no way they could do it without him. They also gad to get Hailey to tell what happened. She had seen it with her own eyes.

But they didn't want to tell Grey alone. Lucy told Tim that she wanted a strong woman by her side, and Tim totally understood that.

So they had to include her.

They called Hailey and asked if she agreed to tell her. To Lucy's relief, she even wanted to be there when they told Angela.

So a few hours later, they didn't care about looking too good because they really didn't feel good.

Anyways. After Hailey had arrived, it didn't take a long time until the doorbell rang, and Angela stood in front of the door.

Lucy took a deep breath and then opened it.

"Hi, Ange."

Angela entered and first just saw Tim and Lucy.

She went in to hug them.

"Hey, guys! I have to be honest, I was a little worried after your message. You seemed off when you left the station and then just took days off..."

She took a closer look at them.

"You actually don't look so good..."

She then noticed Hailey.

"Officer Salton, what are you doing here?... Ok, guys, now I am confused."

The three exchanged much saying looks before Tim continued to speak because Lucy's words seemed to be stuck in her throat.

"Yeah. That's why we asked you to come. It's serious, Ange."

Now she turned into something concerned. They just offered her to sit down on the couch.

After a while of silence, Lucy had gained enough confidence to start explaining.

"Ok."

She took a deep breath.

"Well, I think I should start from ten years ago. I joined the academy with a secret, I-"

She couldn't say it. She just couldn't say it. There was a reason she didn't tell anyone who didn't need to know. She didn't to be looked at with those pity eyes, these concerned looks, these that said that she was sick. That it defines her. But it didn't. She wasn't her sickness. She was able to do everything alone. Able to be good cop. God, a damn good cop. She didn't want to be seen as weak.

But in the opposite, it was Angela. Angela. She wouldn't do that, right? They knew for such a long time now, and she knew Lucy was strong. She wouldn't let the fucking diabetis define her. She would just see her, right? The happy, strong, badass Lucy.

At least she hoped so.

Lucy felt a supporting hand on her tight. Tim. She liked the warmth that sent shivers down her spine and feel a little bit better.

The little tear welling in her eye escaped when she went on with talking, letting Angela look even more worried.

"I have diabetis."

Silence.

Just for a short time.

Lucy scanned Angela. She looked a little shocked, then sympathic, and then compassionate. But she didn't look at her like she was weak.

Just this let Lucy smile a little.

"Ok... I am sorry for you... and even confused, because honestly, that doesn't explain anything."

Lucy laughed at this comment, then shared a look with Tim and Hailey before going on to explain.

"Well, I didn't tell anyone. Nor even the ones I should. And so I joined the station. Everything was fine in my rookie-time. But one day, when I was a P2 already, I rode with him... I had felt off the whole day, but at lunch, it worsened, and I went to the toilet, where I..."

She took another deep breath and thankfully took Tim's handsqueeze.

"I passed out. My blood sugar was ay too low. He helped me with giving me my insulin and promised to keep my secret, even when he was my Sargent. And like that, it stayed... at least for a while..."

A tear rolled down Lucy's cheek, and Hailey shifted uncomfortable in her seat.

Angela just stayed silent. She was unbelievably curious about what would come next. But when she was honest, afterward she wished she hadn't heard it.

"When I got my first rookie, Hailey,"

Lucy smiled at her previous rookie.

"Something... changed. He was more kind. He bought my favorite coffee and made me compliments about my hair, work, and stuff like that. He flirted with me and I was young, I... I also flirted with him. But with the year going on he... touched me. Just a little bit on unimportant places, but later..."

She inhaled sharply.

"Also on other spots. I stared, feeling uncomfortable around him, and I think he noticed that. I flinched at his touches and tried to avoid spending time with him. But that didn't work for too long. He was a sergeant. He had options. Well, one night, there was almsit nobody at the station anymore. So he called me into his office, and I know I shouldn't go, but what for a choice did I have? He was my superior. I had to do what he said. As expected, he... he..."

It was hard to let it leave her lips. Another tear had formed in her eye, which she wiped away. Sucking in the silent support from Tim's hand and Haileys brief glance, she opened her mouth. It was quiet but still noticeable.

"He raped me."

Angela first didn't know what to do, what Lucy wanted her to do. Was there a way you had to react? And if, then, how did it look like? At least Angela didn't know one. But how should she? An officer she deeply respected, God who cares about the formals, a close friend of her, had been raped by a man who used his upper position for it. Lucy must've tried to get away from him. And then it klicked. She had done exactly that. This had been the reason she transferred the station. Poor Lucy. Taht explained why they had taken the days off, why Lucy looked so exhausted, and Tim not a lot better.

She decided to hug Lucy and felt that it was probably the right thing to do as Lucy pressed her tighter.

As they pulled away, Lucy had worn an expression that let Angela's detective instincts tell her something terrible.

There was more.

"He used the diabetis as pressure against me. This went on for a few weeks until..."

She looked over to Hailey again.

"Until Hailey saved me."

Angela looked a little confused by that. Then Hailey started to explain.

"I was on the way to give Lucy my reports from a few special calls when someone told me she was at the sargents office. So I went there just to see Lucy with hands pulled over her head. The wrists pressed against the wall, where Carson kissed her roughly. I told her that the next day, and she opened up to me."

They shared a look with the silent agreement Lucy could go on.

She told Angela the rest of the story. About the transfer, how she got to Mid-wilshire, and what had happened in the last few days. She left out a few details about what had happened with her and Tim and stuff, but the more she told Angela about their theories.

At the end of this long and finally making a sense explanation, they asked Angela if she would help them.

She had almost rolled her eyes at that. What did they think? Taht she would let them do it alone? No fucking way.

"Let's get that Bastard."