Wattpad Orijinal İçeriği
Ücretsiz 11 bölüm kaldı

17. Too Many Questions

ARIA

With the phone cradling my ear, I hold my breath for Nicco's response. Stakes have never been higher, and the success of my plan now hinges on entirely him. I can't do this alone. Silence strains through the receiver in a stretch of uncertain seconds. Waiting is torture, but I try to be patient.

Why won't he say something?

On edge, I check my location on Google Maps. Then, I glance out the car window, searching for something to redirect my anxiety. The Uber continues to weave in and out of traffic.

Hang in there, Appa, I'm coming.

My fingertips touch the glass as the vehicle passes a row of shadowy brownstones. I recognize the street from the map. We're almost at the hospital. My body sways as the driver takes a turn. The city is a blur as buildings fly by.

My thoughts begin to blur, too.

Is Jaime going to be at the hospital?

I wish I had more time to figure out his angle.

What happens if Jaime is waiting to trap me, and Nicco rejects my offer?

Fuck.

I don't know.

I don't know.

I don't know.

Clutching onto my phone, I appeal to him with a touch more urgency, "Please say something. Anything. I know you have every right to tell me to fuck off, what I've proposed is pretty wild, but I need you now more than ever. Will you give me a chance to prove myself?"

Through the line, I hear him clear his throat. A seeming eternity passes before Nicco puts me out of my misery. Both eyes grow wide when he actually gives the green light, "Fine."

"Really?"

"Only because Vivi confirmed everything that you shared about Sossaman-Hewitt."

It feels like Christmas came early. My heart pounds with relief. Thank God Vivi sided with me. Thank God she didn't give Nicco another reason to hate me. Even though I suspect that Vivi probably had ulterior motives when passing along such sensitive and secretive insider information, especially with an outsider like me, I make a mental note to send her a thank you card, anyway, with the most expensive bouquet of flowers that I can afford.

"I am curious, though."

The sharpness in his tone makes me feel uneasy. "About what?"

"You have hidden your cards from me for so long," he drawls. "Enlighten me, principessa, what is driving this sudden desire to reveal your entire fucking hand?"

Nicco sounds like he's mocking me when he calls me princess. His sarcasm doesn't faze me. Smoothly, I counter, "Everyone has their breaking point."

"Give me one good reason to believe you."

"I'm planning to send you a flash drive soon. There will be documents on it outlining the details of my plans. Go ahead and have your men cross-check the data. Run it through a fine-tooth comb. You'll see that I'm not fucking around with you this time."

Nicco flings back, "Even if Carl does not find any red flags on your drive, I would rather bathe in acid than trust you again."

Acid, huh?

Seems a bit dramatic.

I grumble, "Don't trust me then. Let the results speak for themselves when we put Jaime's head on a spike."

Unconvinced, he grunts, "Hmm."

Undeterred, I attempt to sway Nicco once more, "You asked why I'm suddenly revealing my hand. Remember what you once told me? The sky literally needs to fall, and the world must burn to ash in order for a person to even contemplate deviating from their original path."