25

~Armin's POV~ 

I've decided not to tell Annie about her fathers involvement with my parents' death. She already has too much to worry about. Besides, she already made up her mind about giving her father a second chance.  I don't wanna be the one who takes that away from her. It seems important. And she seems at peace with her decision. If anything, she needs the closure she'll get out of it. The accident was years ago. Coming clean wouldn't bring them back. It would only send Annie into a downwards spiral and cause more hatred between her and her father. 

Maybe this sounds selfish but I don't want Annie to forgive her dad. He's put her through the absolute worst kind of pain you can put your own child through. He was supposed to be there for her, love her and care for her but instead, he hurt her in ways I'd never be able to forgive. Because of him, Annie might've never been able to be here today. She would've taken her own life without hesitation because of the wounds he inflicted on her. In the end, I'll support whichever decision she makes. And hiding one secret from her wouldn't hurt. Especially if it keeps her from hurting herself. It's in the past, anyways. 

The car ride home goes a lot better than expected. We take the longer route home. Although longer, it has a lot less traffic and its generally safer to drive through. I'm driving slow, cautiously looking at the road in front of me. The trembling in my hands has slowed down. Annie's head is rested on the car window. She seems to be deep in thought. 

I'd like to think that my parents would be proud of me. Ten years after their passing, I've finally gathered the courage to sit behind a steering wheel. My hands are shaky and I'm going as slow as a turtle up a hill but I'm driving. Maybe this is a step towards the direction of moving on. I've barely though of the accident this winter. Snow used to bring me nightmares. Now it reminds me of Annie. How we met, how close we've become, how we've loved and what we've survived. 

"What are you thinking about?" I ask without taking my eyes off the road. I assume she's thinking about her dad's accident. 

"The hospital bill." She admits. 

"Don't worry. I'll help you with that." 

"No." She's quick to object. "I've got savings. I can cover it." 

I want to reach out and take her hand but my hands are glued to the steering wheel. There's many things I admire about Annie. But one of the top things is how strong she is. She hardly asks for help. All I've given her has been on my own will without her needing to ask. Today, when she found out her father was in the hospital, she pushed through and saw him despite everything he's done. Her worry overruled her past and despite everything he's put her through, she gave him a change at a redemption. She's a good person. 

The jaded look in her eyes describes how tired she is of everything. She looks like all she wants to do is curl up on the couch with some hot chocolate and fall asleep. And I'll make sure she gets to do what as soon as we get home. 

"There's something I need to tell you." Annie's the one to break the silence this time. How the tables have turned for the better. I like how comfortable we've gotten around each other, how close we've become in such a short amount of time. 

"Go ahead." I smile in the rear-view mirror. 

"Promise me you wont be upset over it." 

My stomach ties itself in a knot. "What is it?" 

"Never mind." From the corner of my eye, I see Annie's head turn back towards the window. "I'll tell you when you aren't driving." 

My shoulders tense up with worry. "Annie, what's wrong?"