Our House

He didn't sleep, at least not that night. After she had drifted off to sleep her soft breathing began to fill the room. Michael listened to the sound and began to wonder what could come next. He had spent so long trying to obtain her and now she was here with him, safe. But he hadn't really thought of what would happen after that.

He hadn't forgotten Laurie. The sound of (Y/n)'s soft breathing only reminded him that his younger sister still had breath in her. Despite his feelings for (y/n), he wouldn't be able to change the course his life would inevitably continue. And now that she was was safe here, at least for now, perhaps he could refocus.

Being back in this house helped. It's empty rooms had provided him shelter once before. It was years ago, but he had taken cover here before that night. These walls surrounded him while he had prepared to kill once again. The house felt different now that he wasn't here alone, but he hadn't forgotten his former self. The house knew who he truly was and it was reminding him that he wasn't quite ready to give that part of himself up yet.

Sunlight began to creep through the bedroom window as he stood up, careful not to wake her. His footfall was silent as he crept towards the adjacent room. It was empty save one large mirror barely hanging onto the wall. He stood in front of it as he had done years before. He looked past his reflection to the relic he had saved behind it. His lifted his hand and let it glide along the mirror's edge, searching. His rough fingers landed on its still sharp edge before he plucked it from its hiding place. The photo had aged, but her face remained clear. Laurie smiled back at him through the worn paper. Her expression taunted him, allowing his need for death to seep back in. He stood there long after sunrise.

She began to wake, slowly blinking the sleep from her eyes. She had slept surprisingly better than she ever had despite the circumstances. She slowly sat up, peering down at the empty spot where he had previously lain. She hated to admit she wasn't surprised he might have left, it was something she was used to. Even though she was slowly hardening herself to those feelings, it stung. She sat on the edge of the bed while she studied the room. Now that there was light she could clearly see her surroundings. It looked older than it had in the dark, but with a kind touch she thought it could be livable. It would have to be.

She let her feet hit the ground and wandered down the hall, tracing the old walls as she moved. The wind hadn't let up yet and it's eerie song filled the empty house, it's cold touch sent a shiver down her spine. She came upon a table and let her elbows rest on it as she thought of what she would do first. She noticed leaves had found they're way in through the gap of the door he had tried to fit back into place. She began to pick them up one by one when she felt a familiar gaze upon her.

"You know, you don't have to sneak up on me anymore," she said before she turned.

He stood there, clearly confused by what she was doing and the bundles of leaves in her hands. She moved towards the front door, awkwardly trying to figure out how to get it open before she gave him a small smile.

"Give me a hand?"

He tilted his head in question, curious.

"I thought I'd clean up the place a little," she explained with a shrug, "figured I'd start with this."

He made his way over and moved the door out of her way. The wind rushed in and blew some of the leaves out of her hands. Unbothered, she walked over the porch and scattered the ones she had managed to hold onto over the grass. The fresh air filled her lungs as she watched it carry the leaves off towards the tree line. The house was truly secluded. Probably a good thing.

She turned back to see him gathering the ones she had dropped. It was odd to see him doing normal things like this, but she did find it almost endearing. He walked over to her and did the same as she had and they briefly enjoyed the silence between them. The uneventful day ahead came as a relief to the two.

From his peripheral, he could see her body shaking ever so slightly. She was cold. Without a word, of course, he strode off towards the trees, hoping to find something that could bring her comfort. He had no need for warmth, but he couldn't let her suffer. It was becoming a weakness.

She waltzed back into the house to distract herself while he was away. She went through the different rooms, trying to make each one as homey as possible. After all, it would be home for here on out. She enjoyed it too, she had never had the opportunity to make her previous residence her own as she would this one. The old walls were a new beginning for her.

She had finished with all but one room. She stood in the doorway contemplating whether or not it was really necessary to bother with it at all since there was nothing in it. Just a mirror. She walked over and stood in front of it, taking in her appearance for the first time in awhile. Her hair was a mess, she thought to herself as her fingers ran through it, struggling through the knots. She winced as she pulled through them. Once it was brushed as best it could be she let her hands fall. She stared at her reflection for a moment until something caught her eye. A small white triangle stuck out of the side of the mirror. Her brow furrowed as she reached up for it. It was paper, when she pulled, it revealed itself to be a photograph. It wasn't familiar, her face wasn't in the picture of the family she had seen the night before. The longer she looked her curiosity grew. She could have sworn she had seen her before.

She heard movement in the front room and quickly shoved the photo in her pocket, her curiosity would have to wait. She went out to meet him. He was placing the kindling and branches he had gathered in the old fireplace. She liked to think he was unaware she was watching, but she knew he had a sixth sense she was there. She watched as he took a rock to his blade, attempting to start a fire. To no surprise, his efforts were futile. She remembered she kept a lighter on her for the occasional cigarette she had allowed herself during particularly unpleasant days.

"Here," She said as she walked over and lit the leave's underneath the wood.

The flames spread quickly, it hadn't rained for quite some time so the wood was dry. The warmth on her skin was more than welcome. The day had passed quicker than she thought it would, but the darkness falling on the house didn't feel bad. The glow of the fire made the place seem almost cozy. The flames cast their shadows on the wall and she noticed Michael had been standing over her. She motioned for him to sit with her.

He hesitated, but accepted her offer, his gaze concentrated on the flames. The crackling of the fire was the only sound between them. She turned her head towards him, silently wondering what the man next to her looked like underneath the mask. She had never done that before. She didn't want to ask, she knew well enough by now it stayed on, so she focused on the only part of him that was just barely visible to her. The fire danced in his eyes and for the first time she could really see their color. They were dark, but the orange glow showed off golden tones hidden within them. Mask or not, she felt he was beautiful. His statuesque form and cool, calculated movements were becoming something she was drawn to. He watched her silent studying from the corner of his eye.

A smile pulled at her lips when his eyes met her's and she let her head fall on his shoulder. He turned slowly and for a moment he felt that strange sense of fear and excitement she always seemed to arouse within him. He let it linger, focusing his mind on the warmth not just from the fire before him, but the one within. He wondered if he was spreading like flames in her mind as she was for him.