Six

Six

 -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Dear Miss Tiffany Cotton

I hope you do not mind the familiarity with which I have addressed you. I took the liberty to enquire after your given name from Lady Adams, who graciously bestowed it upon with when I admitted my affections.

I know I am not the most intelligent of males, or that my worth is far less than any of the men you may be used to in your esteemed circles, but I have conducted a thorough research of the couples you told me about and used in your reasoning about why we should not, indeed, entertain a courtship.

Unfortunately, I have discovered some flaws in your logic.

Let me regale you with why!

Cleopatra and Anthony certainly did perish, choosing to take their own lives. You failed to mention that Anthony fell upon his own sword when he perceived his lover had died.

I do not have a sword- you need not worry about this ever happening to me.

Then, Heloise and Abelard.

Certainly tragic that they did not see each other again after Abelard's castration. However, there seemed to be a notable age difference of one score years between them and a very irate uncle (who I cannot justifiably blame for condemning the union considering it was his niece being wooed by her unsuitable tutor).

I am merely three years your younger, and I certainly hope you do not have a disapproving uncle at your disposal to castrate me. Also, as I am sure you can tell, I am not adept at procuring flowery letters of romance with which to woo you.

As for the last couple you mentioned, well that is terribly romantic. To spend your life building a monument to commemorate the love you had for your wife.

In conclusion, I think you should reconsider, for to harbour a love as powerful as the people you have mentioned is to surely transcend all tragedy, in all lives, in all realms, and I would never refute such a thing were it to ever happen to me.

Yours,

Kaede C'lainn

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

"The sandwich," Izzy said as she thoughtfully considered the crisp white bread securing pieces of cucumber, "is said to be the product of John Montagu, who requested something that he could eat with his hands during a long haul at one of his gambling tables."

Lady Mildred Adams considered this news with a mild expression of interest, whereas Addilyn Holt stirred her tea slowly.

They convened the following day for tea in one of the parlour rooms, this one awash with bright light as spanning along the length of one wall were floor to ceiling length windows that provided an uninhibited view of the snow-dusted gardens outside.

No response was forthcoming from the other two women, and Izzy inwardly fretted that perhaps a factoid that she found interesting may not be well-received by the others.

It had never aided her popularity with other girls before- why would it now? Most found her unsolicited anecdotes unbecoming, peculiar, and would rather converse about the banality of a new bonnet, or style of frock- of which Izzy also had bountiful knowledge of, but most were not interested in the history of the fabric they wore, or its origins.

It stood to reason then that the two women sharing a brightly floral-patterned settee would share similar feelings to those rare few girls Izzy had met in her youth.