Chapter 39

I pulled into the school parking lot and parked next to Blakely. She was sitting there in her car, looking at her phone. She must have heard us pull up because she looked to her left and smiled when she saw my car. She grabbed her bag, tossed her phone in it, and opened the door. 

Sam told me she'd meet me here at the car after school, then got out and took off walking with her friends. I grabbed my bag and got out to walk with Blakely. I locked my car and looked around the parking lot for Gavin, but there was no sign of him yet. So we started walking toward the front of the school, talking about what happened at Lilli's and if I would have any trouble with Savannah and her friends today. Part of me did feel bad for her yesterday, even if that part of me was so small you needed a microscope to see it. We were maybe ten feet away from our cars when I heard someone pull up behind us and turn off their vehicle. I turned around to see Gavin getting out of his car. I stopped so that he could catch up to us. 

"What are you two troublemakers talking about?" He asked, swapping glances between the two of us. 

"What happened at Lilli's yesterday with Savannah and Easton," I said as we turned around and started walking to the front of the school. 

"I should've known." He rolled his eyes. 

"What? The bitch deserved it, and you know it. Girls like her shouldn't be allowed to always get away with treating others like shit. She caught it in the ass this time. 

"Wow...Tell us how you really feel." 

"What? You don't agree with me?" I stopped in my tracks. 

"That isn't what I meant." He wrapped his arm around me, coaxing me to keep walking with them. "How about we stop talking about Savannah before we get into a fight? We all know she's a bitch." He pulled me closer to him, giving me a light squeeze, letting me know everything was going to be all right. 

I went to my locker, swapped out my books, and walked to English with Blakely. I just wanted to make it through one day without any drama, but I knew today wouldn't be that day. "I wished we could just leave and go shopping for the day," I said, walking into the classroom. 

"I know, right." Blakely sighed. 

"Chelsi, can I talk to you for a second," Easton asked from his desk. 

"Why?" I walked by, sitting down at my desk. 

"I know you hate me, and you have every right to. But I really want to make it up to you. Please." 

"Why should I trust you? So you can make me look like a fool again? You've done it to me several times when you promised me you wouldn't. So, why should I trust you now? What makes this time different from the rest?" 

Easton fidgeted in his seat a little, then ran his hand through his hair several times. "Chelsi, I'm sorry I hurt you. If you want, I will get down on my knees in the middle of the class in front of everyone and say it again." 

I looked around the room at the twenty-six pairs of eyes staring at us from every direction, waiting for my response to his comment. Finally, my eyes found their way back to Easton. "No, you don't have to get on your knees in front of everyone." 

Right as Easton was about to say something else, Mr. Scott walked into the room, telling us to get our books and notebooks out. I so badly wanted to give Mr. Scott a big hug for stepping into the classroom when he did and saving me from Easton. I knew I was on the verge of breaking and giving in to him at any minute because there was something about him that I couldn't resist. No matter how hard I tried, I found myself giving in to him. He would break my heart again, but I had to stay strong this time.