Chapter 13: Lonesome Days

Hanji's POV

A week has passed since Levi was gone and I've been a bit lonely. Of course, Dr. Annis has been checking up on me, confirming that I should be due in about 7 months. Over a week ago, I was already about 2 months pregnant. I didn't know that. According to Onyankonpon, Levi's trip to Marley and he would be recovering in Marley for a total of 6 months. 6 months away from me and this little one of ours. Levi tried convincing everyone to let him go home early, but it was of no use.

Levi would miss the majority of this baby's growth... but he promised that if we have other ones, he will always be here for them.

Dr. Annis recommended I get some exercise. Since Onyankonpon has been the one to bring us groceries and he went over with Levi, I was left alone to do my shopping. I've been avoiding it for a while. Why?

I'm scared to get recognized. When people hear that I've been brought back from the dead... then our peaceful life together in that isolated cabin of ours would be ruined. I've read the newspapers... they announced my death so long ago. But because my body wasn't found, they couldn't bury me. The thought of that always makes me chuckle.

With a heavy sigh, I quickly brushed my hair thoroughly, making it silky smooth. With a mirror in front of me, I carefully covered my eyepatch with my hair. For a while, I debated on keeping the eyepatch because every time I don't have it own, I see my horrible scars without it. The scars from my missing eye...

I tried dressing down with the usual dress, as much as I dislike it, a basket was hanging from my arm as I stashed my pouch of coins into it. Time to go back into town... embrace the fear of being spotted...

Amid my shopping, I saw a familiar face: Flegel. I've read his papers about how he's trying to help the people... and that's one thing that I'm proud of. He had some sort of girl by his side, and I assume that must've been a wife. From his papers... I've read he was completely devastated to hear of my so-called death. He was one of the people planning for my funeral. Even though I didn't tell him the truth about Eren... he was still a friend to me.

I wanted to talk to him, to reassure him. But I know that revealing myself would've been selfish of me for attention, and I know it'll pain him much more. I was dead to him, and I shouldn't do anything to disturb his view. 

Levi was different...

My hand gently caressed my stomach when I thought of Levi... this little gift of ours would be coming soon. I would need to think of names and we need a room for them as well- oh, there's so much to do about this baby that I don't know what to do! Maybe some baby books for me to read to them... or something to read about babies. One of those bookshops might do well...

When our baby is born, it'll be a little easier to walk into town. They would ask for toys, and we would get them what they wanted. From Levi's past, I think our baby would be a little spoiled...

Little one, why can't you come sooner? I would love to have you by my side right now when Levi's gone... maybe I should've advised Levi to go to Marley after our baby was born... but Onyankonpon would've needed a reason for why Levi would go to Marley after a certain time...